Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Model Railroading > Digitrax programming

Date: 07/06/19 14:04
Digitrax programming
Author: grahamline

I have a pair of HO Kato engines with TCS decoders that were loaned to a 'friend' for use during an open house event.  Now that they have been returned for use on my NCE system, they don't light up, don't hum, don't nothing.
The borrower says he "didn't do anything to them."
Anyone have an idea what the problem is, and how to get them running again? Programming on the main and resetting the decoders according to the TCS protocol has not helped.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/19 14:25 by grahamline.

Date: 07/06/19 15:08
Re: Digitrax programming
Author: fbe

Running a TCS decoder programmed by NCE on a Digitrax layout shouldn't cause any changes to the decoder when returned to NCE.

Have the units been left in consist from the Digitrax layout? Does TCS require F8 to activate the decoder? When changing CV8=8 on the main does the mode you are using require you to remove the track power during the process?

Date: 07/06/19 16:55

The engines are not responding to 3, 03, or their programmed double-digit numbers. NCE handle doesn't see a consist, but it would not see a consist set on Digitrax, right? I'm trying to fix this on a 6-foot isolated track fed through an NCE Power Cab.

Date: 07/06/19 18:21

I am not an NCE guy so I have no clue about NCE programming, consisting and reading CVs.

Date: 07/06/19 18:22
Author: OHRY

I believe consisting is in CV9 it it needs to be set to 0 to clear out any consists that the unit may be in.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/06/19 18:40
Author: KsPoker

At the club layout that I belong to, the system they use is NCE and I use Digitrax at home. If your engines were in a consist using NCE, try changing CV19=0 and that will get them out of the consist. I learned this the hard way because I was encountering the same problems you are having. Give it a try. It worked, and still works for me when going from the NCE club layout back to my Digitrax home layout.
Mike

Date: 07/06/19 23:23
Author: Kemacprr

Set cv 19 to zero not cv 9  and see if that helps. They may have been in a consist on the other RR .Cv 19 is the consist id.  ------- Ken 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/19 23:24 by Kemacprr.

Date: 07/06/19 23:26

Kemacprr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Set cv 19 to zero not cv 9  and see if that
> helps. They may have been in a consist on the
> other RR .Cv 19 is the consist id.  -------

Oops! I knew I should've proofread before hitting post message!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/07/19 06:52

Will try resetting CV19 today if I get some time. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/19 09:59 by grahamline.

Date: 07/07/19 18:39
Author: railstiesballast

It happens to many of us: forgetting to clear a consist, simply picking up an engine and carting it off to the repair track or another layout....
I had to put a little sign on my programming track to remind myself the first place to look if I thought an engine was dead.

Date: 07/07/19 19:14

Operating more on Free-mo set ups I have learned through experience to break up all consists when done with them then disp all the individual locomotives before packing the units away. It is just good housekeeping. If I am going to be running close to tear down time it is with a 2 unit set so if the power gets cut I know which of two unit numbers will move that consist when I get home.

Date: 07/07/19 19:17

" 'The borrower says he "didn't do anything to them.' "
Yeah, well, not exactly.

Date: 07/08/19 09:46

He probably thinks since he didn't physically change any CV value he didn't personally change anything. He doesn't realize Digitrax automatically makes the needed CV changes when it is setting up consist mode.

If you loan them out again you might put a file card or post it note in the box reminding users to take the loco out of consist before putting it away.

Date: 07/08/19 10:54

Considering the time spent putting them back to normal, future 'loans' are unlikely.

Date: 07/08/19 12:15
Author: brfriedm

Maybe I am missing something here but all consisting with Digitrax takes place in the command stattion. Nothing is written to the units. So if u have a consist MU'ed on your layout, u can pick them up and use them elsewhere but they have to be reconsisted when u go elsewhere. The consist stays in the command station. I love that about Digitrax actually. With that stated, dropping units or consists has to be done with Digitrax or u can get the infamous "Slotmax" which is very common on Digitrax clubs as folks are too lazy to deMU their consists and then drop their consists off their throttles. No issues here as I have been doing this for years and teach my crews to do so. 

Bruce

Date: 07/08/19 16:03

Advanced consisting uses CV19, so the consist is stored in the decoder not the command station. Units in an advanced consist can go from one system to another and will still behave as a consist. If his friend put the unit in an advanced consist and never took it out, when it came home it would still think it's part of a consist.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds