Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Model Railroading > modeling overhead trolley wires

Date: 07/06/19 18:59
modeling overhead trolley wires
Author: Jeff

Can a list member recommend any supplier for supplies to make and install overhead trolley wire systems for HO scale?  My club is studying adding some trolleys as an "up front" detail to improve our public show.
Ideally someone who has made overhead systems can be found in our home town, Portland, OR, who would be willing to come to our club and instruct and advise our members   Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Date: 07/06/19 19:19
Re: modeling overhead trolley wires
Author: fbe

Do you want single wire trolley for street cars and interurbans or overhead catenary for mainline electrification or higher speed interurbans?

Date: 07/06/19 20:45
Author: Jeff

Single wires with poles onthe cars.  Jeff

Date: 07/06/19 21:09

Start out by getting some trolley books from members or libraries and look at pictures, lots of pictures of cars and overhead on straights, curves, switches and junctions. Critical details are pullbacks to align the overhead to the centerline of the rails without setting a post every 20'.

It is common to use brass rod for the poles and extend them below the benchwork so you can solder power feeds if you want. The cross bar can be built from code 40 n scale rail soldered into a notch cut into the pole.

Guitar strings makes pretty good trolley and is very rugged. It is best to use silver bearing solder for all the joints on all the poles, trolley and pull pack connections.

Goid luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/19 21:33 by fbe.

Date: 07/06/19 21:28
Author: wabash2800

Ok, it's just my opinon, but I have often felt that the overhead wire used in HO is too large in diameter to look right. There is a local man here in Fort Wayne that is using something much smaller in N scale. His work is truly amazing. He had told me what he uses, but unfortunately I forgot. In a additon to having a home layout, he also takes part of his layout to train shows in the Fort Wayne, Indiana area.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 07/06/19 21:35

Guitar wires in electrical and acoutistic versions are available in a range of sizes. The down side is these are bright silver wires which will need to be painted a dark color.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/19 22:46 by fbe.

Date: 07/07/19 06:07
Author: Bscale316

A suggestion: For your purpose, you may find that dummy overhead, and cars running on
regular two-rail power might be more suitable. Just a thought.
Bill in Ft Worth

Date: 07/07/19 07:07
Author: Hartington

Date: 07/07/19 08:08
Author: BAB

Its not single wire but was at Walnut Creek club think the city is of the same name in CA. They have quite an extensive street running overhead at there club layout didnt see it run but stands out among all of the scenes there. Also got a top to bottom tour of it, all DC the building was financed by the club. One member even helped on the steel structure during its build well worth the time to stop by and see. Boyd in Chiloquin.

Date: 07/07/19 18:24
Author: HB90MACH

Search for east penn traction.  That club is a large trolley layout.  One of the members posts here often.

Date: 07/08/19 09:15
Author: DocJohn

With the resurgence of overhead wires in various light rail systems as well as pricey models of the ACELA, one would think that there would be commercial interest in providing HO-scale trolley wire systems.

John

Date: 07/08/19 09:16

Phosphor bronze wire is another common overhead wire for trolley especially if the trolley is powered. It's downside is it is easier to bend especially when trying to retrieve derailed equipment.

Date: 07/09/19 06:33
Author: tramfan

I am a traction modeler but for your club's purpose you may consider hanging the wire just slighty above the pole's reach to prevent issues of dewiring at frogs. It will give the appearance of running on the wire. Overhead will vary as to reliabilty due to the controlled environment. Another suggestion would be to use pantographs as opposed to trolley poles. Much simpler to handle crossings and turnouts.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0525 seconds