Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Model Railroading > Up Against the Wall

Date: 07/12/19 22:05
Up Against the Wall
Author: railstiesballast

Kimball Iron Works on my SWP HO layout is a set of building flats up against the wall.  I made one door open enough for a man to walk in/out but not enough to reveal the lack of floor space, and ran a track under the door.
Management recently inquired why there are never any revenue moves to the Iron Works.  They would not take the excuse that the track was only 2 inches long.
So the car department went to work and made a pair of 2-inch long cars, cut from one Bowser kit, weathered, and with the trucks simply glued into place.
One is the factory red oxide and I painted the other one black (NP, C&O, Reading?) so I can occasionally change the scenery.
I actually like the looks of these cars with dummy couplers and no magnetic uncoupling pin hanging down.

Date: 07/12/19 22:08
Re: Up Against the Wall
Author: tehachapifan

Wow! Clever and oustanding work!!

Date: 07/13/19 03:39
Author: birdman

Good idea and well executed.  Adds a lot to the scene.

Date: 07/13/19 05:22
Author: Atsf814

THATS pretty clever! Thanks for sharing!

Date: 07/13/19 06:08
Author: CSX602

Looks fantastic!   Great idea...

Plus you have the extra irony of the door not open enough to avoid being a duck-under situation (much less allowing a loaded car to be pulled out) right beside the big sign saying Think Safety First...

Date: 07/13/19 08:02
Author: Jimmies

That's good stuff right there.  Maybe post a wider shot of Kimball Iron Works. We'd all love to see more.

Jim

Date: 07/13/19 08:59
Author: M-420

Well played, Sir!

Date: 07/13/19 12:42
Author: JimBaker

Amazing, I never knew what the 'Teeth per inch' of a Razor Saw blade was. 
That is 52 Teeth per Inch, correct?

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 07/13/19 20:57
Author: railstiesballast

Thanks for the kind words.
You can get razor saws at various tooth pitch values, that is why I painted it on the blade holder: they are too fine for my old eyes to see.
Maybe I'll get by KIW tomorrow for a broader view of the plant.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0569 seconds