Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Model Railroading > p2k frame ?

Date: 07/16/19 17:54
p2k frame ?
Author: HB90MACH

For p2k switchers. the frame from an sw9/1200 and a alco S3, are they the same size? Width and length. I m working on a set of Alco T6 locomotives. the S3 frame is a good size but having to buy entire P2K loco's just for the chassis and drive line is a bit much when you figure now I have shells to get rid of. I have the opportunity to buy sw9 chassis and drive line for drastically cheaper. but will it fit a shell designed with the s3 frame in mind

Thanks
Wolfie

Date: 07/16/19 18:49
Re: p2k frame ?
Author: PHall

HB90MACH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For p2k switchers. the frame from an sw9/1200 and
> a alco S3, are they the same size? Width and
> length. I m working on a set of Alco T6
> locomotives. the S3 frame is a good size but
> having to buy entire P2K loco's just for the
> chassis and drive line is a bit much when you
> figure now I have shells to get rid of. I have
> the opportunity to buy sw9 chassis and drive line
> for drastically cheaper. but will it fit a shell
> designed with the s3 frame in mind
>
> Thanks
> Wolfie

You should have no problem selling your shells. There is a demand for them.

Date: 07/16/19 20:36
Author: CPR_4000

Pretty sure the T6 was the same length as the earlier S series engines. (22 feet bolster to bolster.) According to The Diesel Shop website, the SW9 also had 22 foot bolster centers. So you might be in luck. That said, the S3 and T6 running boards, steps, battery box, cab, and handrails were nearly identical, and you'd have to fabricate all that if you start with an EMD. (The T6 cab was welded, not riveted, so you'd have do do a little sanding on the S3 cab unless the model also has a welded cab.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/19 20:39 by CPR_4000.

Date: 07/17/19 02:53
Author: andrewcastle

The frames are completely different. The SW frame is designed to fill the wider hood of the SW models so it would take a lot of work to narrow it up to fit an Alco hood. Also the height is different.

Using the S3 frame will make your life much easier and any cost savings you get by using the SW frame will be more than offset by the amount of work it would take to make it work.

Andrew C

Date: 07/17/19 03:27
Author: HB90MACH

Ok. I will stick with the plan to get p2k  S3 frames.   Glad i asked.  The 2 sw frames are together cheaper than one S3 frames. That would have been a goof.
thanks
Wolfie

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.033 seconds