Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Model Railroading > Installing Caboose Industries Ground Throws On Foam

Date: 07/18/19 14:51
Installing Caboose Industries Ground Throws On Foam
Author: refarkas

I have a small N scale layout with Atlas code 55 track mounted on Woodland Scenics foam track bed which rests upon one inch blue foam glued to plywood. Are there any special tricks to mounting Caboose Industries ground throws to the Atlas code 55 switches since they are on the foam? I'd like to do it right the first time.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Date: 07/18/19 17:39
Re: Installing Caboose Industries Ground Throws On Foam
Author: penncentral74

Bob, depending on what thickness foam you are using I find it is easiest to cut a piece of wood from either 3/4" stock or a slice of 2x4.

Lay the piece of wood you have cut out on the foam board where your switch ties and points are.

Mark around the piece of wood you have cut and cut out the foam board with a hot knife, jig saw, drywall saw or whatever your choice is.

Leave the cut out area a little snug so you can just slide in the block of wood.  Once you are happy with the fit, use a polyethylene glue (original Gorilla or their newer clear glue) and glue the block in place.

Once it has set up, you will be able to drill holes for pins (I use small box nails) to hold the CI throw down after you mount the tie rod extension of your choice.

Remember to keep the block flush with the top of the foam, and sand off any glue foam-out if necessary.

This technique also works when using their 'remote' mounting kits, as it provides a good way to drill a perpendicular hole to mount the brass tube and plastic sector mechanism. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds