Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Model Railroading > How about an SP boxcar...

Date: 07/21/19 08:55
How about an SP boxcar...
Author: trackplanner

Tim Dickinson's SP 659673 50' B-70-32 boxcar (Don DeLay photo).

Date: 07/21/19 10:28
Re: How about an SP boxcar...
Author: ChrisCampi

Love the subtle weathering on this car.

Date: 07/21/19 11:37
Author: atsf5701

Very nice indeed!

Date: 07/21/19 13:59
Author: SPDRGWfan

Forgetting about the streaks for a moment, how do you get the faded slightly dirty overall look?

Date: 07/21/19 15:23
Author: alcoc636

Thanks for the kind remarks about my weathering on this car. The overall weathering was done with chalks applied with 70% rubbing alcohol. The chalk colors used are blacks, greys, browns, etc. Some of the darker streaks coming down from the roof and the roof eaves were done with Tamiya Weathering (they come in little clear jewel cases and look like ladies make up) applied using make up brushes. Tamiya offers various colors and they come as a three pack (three separate colors). Some of the Tamiya colors are also good for hitting the wooden tack boards to make them not look the same as the overall color of the car. Wooden tack boards slowly revert back to their wood look after a short time out there in service. I always finish up the car with some weathered paint "mix" applied with my air brush. I vary the mix from batch to batch, but it ususally consists of grimy black or weathered black along with any number of other colors thrown in such as rust, roof brown, dust, etc. The paint I'm using is Tru Color. When applying with the air brush, my mix is roughly 80% thinner to 20% paint on this step. The final step is an overall covering of the entire car with Testor's Flat (mixed with Lacquer thinner). For a fairly new car (one year old or less) I sometimes make up a mixture of 50% Testors Gloss with 50% Testors Flat to give the car a "semi-gloss" look of a car that hasn't been out there too long subject to the elements.

Tim Dickinson, boxcar owner
La Verne, CA

Date: 07/21/19 16:43
Author: SPDRGWfan

Tim,

Appreciate the weathering info. I hope to try weathering when done with house projects.

Cheers ,Jim

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds