Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Model Railroading > The Onondaga Cutoff - and Model Railroader

Date: 08/06/19 11:49
The Onondaga Cutoff - and Model Railroader
Author: RGDave

I am thrilled to announce that the Onondaga Cutoff has been featured in an article published in Model Railroader magazine!

The article is part of the September 2019 issue of MR, on the shelves now, which has several articles coordinated around the idea of running model trains in simulated darkness.  One of the early goals for operating trains on the 'OC' was to simulate a rolling schedule on the railroad, including 24 hours of operation and the challenges (and mystique) that changing light conditions bring to prototype railroad operations.  My writing is centered on getting your room and layout surfaces lit for operations, with photos and some ideas to help it come together.  

While I knew the article was coming, I had no idea that it was in consideration for a cover shot, and so that will live as one of the best surprises I've had, ever.  I am still in a state of shock - thankful to be able to contribute, and hopeful that perhaps somewhere a young person will see this and be inspired as I was so many times in my youth.  Coming from a non-model railroad family, this magazine was a wonderful source of excitement for me when I was able to get my hands on it.  

Thanks as always for your support over the years of posting here!

~RGDave
https://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 08/06/19 12:14
Re: The Onondaga Cutoff - and Model Railroader
Author: UPJeff

Congratulations and that cover picture does look great.  Nice work on the article.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 08/06/19 12:34
Author: Jimmies

Well done Dave.  Congratulations.

Jim

Date: 08/06/19 12:38
Author: march_hare

Hmmm, simulated darkness.  Gotta think about that. 

Date: 08/06/19 13:06
Author: Frisco1522

Congratulations.  Nice work.

Date: 08/06/19 14:05
Author: SPDRGWfan

You have "arrived"!  Gratz!

Date: 08/06/19 14:34
Author: Hookdragkick

An accomplishment indeed but no surprise to me at least. You've put in work and rightfully deserve that front page shoutout.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/19 14:39 by Hookdragkick.

Date: 08/06/19 17:10
Author: atsf121

I was a bit confused by the cover Dave, was expecting a Conrail unit! I got my copy in the mail last night and was excited to see more about your layout. Congratulations on getting published again, you have a great looking layout. And the night ops and your backdrop lighting tricks are impressive.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/06/19 18:13
Author: ChrisCampi

Well deserved Congratulations are in order. Your posts here are always a must read but I think the Rapido video may have one up'ed MR!

Date: 08/06/19 18:58
Author: Santafes95

Congratulations. That is a great honor.

Date: 08/06/19 19:16
Author: rapidotrains

Beauty goal, Dave! I can't wait to read it.

-Jason

Date: 08/06/19 20:19
Author: JUTower

Well done! I loaned my copy of MR to my boss... need to get it back from him so I can read the article myself! Congrats!!

Date: 08/06/19 20:20
Author: Kemacprr

Way to go Dave !! Shame it wasn't one of your great GE's !! ---   Ken 

Date: 08/06/19 21:38
Author: ironmtn

Congrats also from this guy who is returning to model railroading (N scale) after a long hiatus. I had followed your previous threads on your Onondaga Cutoff route, and when I received my MR on Saturday I was delighted to see it featured. The cover photo is terrific, and a great honor that is well deserved. In the article, photo #5 on p. 49 of the engine terminal lighted at night really did it for me - wow. The realistic atmosphere created by the lighting is palpable. As I develop my own pike, lighting effects are something I want to emphasize and enjoy, so I thank you for sharing your experience and expertise. Such sharing is a big part of what the hobby is all about.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Date: 08/07/19 12:58
Author: toledopatch

Nighttime freight passing the farm around the curve from Onondaga Yard.... The approach-lit signals really jump out of the dark!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/19 14:17 by toledopatch.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/08/19 13:07
Author: navarch2

Well deserved, Dave....well deserved :)

Bob

Date: 08/09/19 11:13
Author: RGDave

Thanks, all!  You guys have helped keep me focused on the progress on the railroad and I've learned a lot about it here.  I appreciate the support!

~RGDave
https://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds