Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Model Railroading > Scale Trains Question...

Date: 08/11/19 12:53
Scale Trains Question...
Author: hartrick24

I'm getting ready to place a order for 2 NS C40-9 sound locos. It's asking me if I want the early or late dynamic brake exhaust. Does any one have a picture of the 2 so I can tell  the difference between them. I can't find picture it anywhere. 

Thank you 
 Steve H...

Date: 08/11/19 14:07
Re: Scale Trains Question...
Author: ScaleTrains

hartrick24 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>   I'm getting ready to place a order for 2 NS
> C40-9 sound locos. It's asking me if I want the
> early or late dynamic brake exhaust. Does any one
> have a picture of the 2 so I can tell  the
> difference between them. I can't find picture it
> anywhere. 
>
>   Thank you 
>  Steve H...

Steve,

Check out the artwork posted on the product page.  The exhaust screens on the early dynamic brakes are slightly smaller (see fireman's side).
https://www.scaletrains.com/collections/rivet-counter-ho-scale-ge-dash-9-44cw/products/rivet-counter-ho-scale-ge-dash-9-40c-norfolk-southern-original

Shane

Shane Wilson
President
​ScaleTrains.com, Inc.  

Date: 08/11/19 14:49
Author: fbe

The text in the link shows the two numbers being released with the earlier small grills as well as the 4 with later larger grills.

Date: 08/11/19 15:31
Author: hartrick24

ScaleTrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hartrick24 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >   I'm getting ready to place a order for 2 NS
> > C40-9 sound locos. It's asking me if I want the
> > early or late dynamic brake exhaust. Does any
> one
> > have a picture of the 2 so I can tell  the
> > difference between them. I can't find picture
> it
> > anywhere. 
> >
> >   Thank you 
> >  Steve H...
>
> Steve,
>
> Check out the artwork posted on the product
> page.  The exhaust screens on the early dynamic
> brakes are slightly smaller (see fireman's side).
> https://www.scaletrains.com/collections/rivet-coun
> ter-ho-scale-ge-dash-9-44cw/products/rivet-counter
> -ho-scale-ge-dash-9-40c-norfolk-southern-original
>
> Shane
>
>
> Shane Wilson
> President
> ​ScaleTrains.com, Inc.  

Shane, my eyes must be very bad as I can't see a difference. So I guess it won't matter which two I get. 

Steve H

Date: 08/11/19 16:13
Author: NSTopHat

>   Shane, my eyes must be very bad as I can't see
> a difference. So I guess it won't matter which two
> I get. 
>
>    Steve H

Steve:

Just get one of each and you will be covered.

Russ

Date: 08/11/19 16:40
Author: CSX602

I think that there may be some confusion on this detail (as I don't recall Diesel Era mentioning such a detail difference in their article on the C40-9s (May 1997 issue). The "early" version artwork on 8765 shows thin silver painted section below the intake, whereas some early years photos I've seen of the prototypes (including photo of 4-year old 8765 in 1999) don't have that.  If some early units had that silver painted below the intakes originally then that would make the intakes look smaller (top to bottom).  I'm wondering if its a case of photo misinterpretation, an after-production change to some units, or if the "early version" was as common as an oxide red Trailer Train bulkhead in current (2019) operation (as the ScaleTrains page for those implies that some of those are still running around in service).

Also, all of the C40-9 units had the "Under Warranty" above number under the cab windows shortly after delivery, all had a very high gloss paint job (that lasted many years), all I saw had the red and white warning decals under the radiator wings (which the artwork only shows on one side of the 8765), the numbers in the numberboards filled the area (no space above, and very little space outside numbers), and what set off the ditch lights were the silver housings and the thin yellow stripes just below them.   

It would be nice if ScaleTrains had the planned artwork for all 6 numbers being offered if they are going to be differences.

By the way, the prototype NS C40-9s had a plethora of warning decals on them as Shell Scale decals researched and put into their decal set... https://www.shellscale.com/ho163.htm

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/19 19:42 by CSX602.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds