Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Model Railroading > Weathered BC Rail/CN C40-8M

Date: 08/12/19 18:33
Weathered BC Rail/CN C40-8M
Author: inCHI

I got one of the Rapido C40-8M's when they came out with this weathering job in mind, and finally, years(s?) later, I got it done. Smokebox graphics reflective stripes were very helpful for a unit like this, as the CN version of these has a lot of striping. I added the rock lights - though 4601 no longer has them - but I couldn't pass up that distinctive look. Otherwise, MU hoses and scale Kadees were the other additions. Weathering was with acrylics, chalks, and dullcoat. I overdid the roof at first, putting exhaust stains over nearly all of it, but noticed that the tapered side of the roof usually shows red in most spots, so I went back and hand painted faded reds on the roof and redid that weathering in a less severe manner. Next up, and IC/CN SD70.

Date: 08/12/19 18:48
Re: Weathered BC Rail/CN C40-8M
Author: wheel_slip

It looks great!

Andy

Date: 08/12/19 19:23
Author: CNW

Very nice!

Dennis

Date: 08/12/19 19:25
Author: ghemr

The fading of the original colors and then the weathering afterwards makes this a work of art!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/19 19:26 by ghemr.

Date: 08/12/19 19:41
Author: Jimmies

Very nicely done. The faded paint is great, but the treatment you've given to the fuel tank and trucks gets my attention.  Great job.

Jim

Date: 08/12/19 19:49

Thanks! The way the trucks are weathered on the real ones threw me off for a bit. Nearly every railroads trucks are painted black, and they weather to a flat dark brown/black, and then (to me) seem to then get lightened by the road grime in shades of brown, grey, and tan. Some of the CN ex-BC Rail C40-8M's got black trucks and fuel tanks. But the ones that kept silver were creating a different weathered result, where they seem darker, towards a dark brown/grey that is darker that the road grime shades that seem common on engines with black trucks. I messed around a bit trying to get the darker-than-silver result the way I was seeing it.

Date: 08/12/19 19:52

ghemr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  The fading of the original colors and then the
> weathering afterwards makes this a work of art!

Thanks! Most of the fading was a coat or too of very thinned white vallejo acrylic. Sometimes my crummy airbrush or technique makes that kind of coating too spotty but it worked decently this time. Black detail wash and chalk helped bring out the hood details but I tried to keep the sides from getting too grimy. A couple of these running around look horrendous right now but most of them seem like they aren't totally filthy.

Date: 08/12/19 21:21
Author: DynamicBrake

Great looking model...you should be proud!  Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 08/13/19 15:19
Author: TCnR

Great weathering, the sun bleached colors came out right, nice fuel tank as well. Good that you scored a BCR C40-8, those were very popular.

Date: 08/13/19 16:51
Author: Hookdragkick

That is a proper, dirty motor. Good job. I love all the lights though. I had to hostle a CN SD70M late last year... so many dam light switches lol. I was like wth is a rock light, stand by lol. 

Date: 08/13/19 18:16

Hookdragkick Wrote:
> That is a proper, dirty motor. Good job. I love
> all the lights though. I had to hostle a CN SD70M
> late last year... so many dam light switches lol.
> I was like wth is a rock light, stand by lol. 

Ha, I didn't even know those had them. Then there are some of the early ES44DC's that have the DPU marker lights which, if I was to guess, might have been the only engines to come with marker lights in 2000's.

Date: 08/14/19 07:12
Author: Hookdragkick

inCHI Wrote:
> Ha, I didn't even know those had them. Then there
> are some of the early ES44DC's that have the DPU
> marker lights which, if I was to guess, might have
> been the only engines to come with marker lights
> in 2000's.
Looks like you're correct. I can't find photo evidence. Someone was being silly then and added a sticker to the markers. Fooled a Southwesterner like me! So back to topic: have you though sharing a function and lighting up the white class-lights when the rock lights come on? Also, would you mind posting a low light shot of the Smokebox Reflective tape doing its job?

Date: 08/14/19 09:06
Author: kevink

Really nice work!

Date: 08/14/19 15:16
Author: gnguy

very nice

Date: 08/14/19 21:02
Author: rapidotrains

That is an absolutely stunning job. Well done!

Next task is for someone to recreate the sagging frame.... :-D

-Jason

Date: 08/14/19 21:18

Hookdragkick Wrote:
So back to topic: have you though sharing
> a function and lighting up the white class-lights
> when the rock lights come on? Also, would you mind
> posting a low light shot of the Smokebox
> Reflective tape doing its job?

You are saying the white class lights on the nose would come on when the rock lights are on? I didn't realize that. The class lights are painted on so for that I'd have to drill them out and wire them up. After going through the rock light installation I'll pass on that, ha. Otherwise, I just experimented with trying to light it so the reflective tape lights up but couldn't figure out a way to get it to pop like it does in reality, where it is bright while everything else is totally dark. Another engines lights, a cell phone flash light, and a room light didn't work. If there is another way to do it I could try it.

Also, I'd love to be able to do the sagging frame as well, if there was a way. Thanks to Rapido for the model of this unique engine, it isn't something I expected to be made, but it is such a distinct engine it is great to have it available. And in Chicago, they wander through every once in a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/19 21:21 by inCHI.

Date: 08/15/19 04:49
Author: SPDRGWfan

The red is realistically faded to pink, which looks kind of awful in real life but that's how it weathers/oxidises.

Date: 08/15/19 05:21
Author: JUTower

That looks fantastic! Nice job.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0574 seconds