Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Model Railroading > New O scale locomotive project

Date: 08/13/19 10:55
New O scale locomotive project
Author: rnb3

Here is some in progress shots of my current project.  I am building a SW1200 in O scale 2 rail.  I’m using the Atlas O Scale model as my starting point.  It is a very good runner from the factory, but it inherits a lot of toy like traits common with O scale 3 rail stuff.  I’m refining the step wells, foot boards, cab details (windows, grabs, door handles, steps), radiator screens (both top and front) to include the radiator core, and fan, exhaust stacks, and anything else I think looks out of scale.

A lot of the details are enhanced by some new photo etched products from KV Models.  They have been producing some pretty nice stuff in HO for a while and recently up-scale some of their artwork to O scale.  Very high quality stuff and looks fabulous!

An ESU Loksound decoder will drive a huge Tang Band 1925 speaker set.  A big advantage in O scale is the space to use big speakers! 

There is a lot more pictures over on the A&O website at:  http://forum.aorailroad.com/t/another-o-scale-locomotive-build/1386/46

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 08/13/19 18:43
Re: New O scale locomotive project
Author: Mautner

Nice work, refreshing to se this kind of work done in  O scale

Mike Mautner
Maryland Hts., MO

Date: 08/14/19 15:44

Thanks Mike, I used to do this kind of work in HO, but switched to O 2 rail about a decade ago.  O scale has nowhere near the models, parts, and details available like HO has.  But I enjoy the challenge of building my own!  Its kind of like HO was back in the 80s and early 90s; no "ready to run super detailed everything for sale on the internet"!  I'm having fun doing my own thing!

Here are some more pics of the work from the last couple months.

First up, this is where I started...tear down, and paint stripping.

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 08/14/19 15:46

Cab mods to address the overly thinck roof...

...and new steps and foot boards.

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 08/14/19 15:48

Opening the shell for radiator details...

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 08/15/19 06:09
Author: mdeberg

Rick,  Really spectacular work on these SW1200's.  just found the KV products myself.  I've got 4 SW1200's and 2 MP15DC's to work on this winter. I'll be watching your project, keep the updates coming.  

Mike DeBerg
Bloomington, IL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds