Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Model Railroading > Scenery advise - cement

Date: 08/14/19 06:20
Scenery advise - cement
Author: JeffZCT

Working on the cement plant area. What would be a good ground cover material around the plant to replicate cement dust and spillage.
Thanks in advance

Date: 08/14/19 07:13
Re: Scenery advise - cement
Author: SeaboardMan

Walk into Lowe’s or Home Depot with a small jar, whisk broom, and ask to sweep up cement dust in that area.  Explain why so they will think you are only a little nuts.   Let us know how that works out, ok.
john

Date: 08/14/19 07:34
Author: BAB

SeaboardMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Walk into Lowe’s or Home Depot with a small jar,
> whisk broom, and ask to sweep up cement dust in
> that area.  Explain why so they will think you
> are only a little nuts.   Let us know how that
> works out, ok.
> john

Dumb answer or are you part of the comedy club? He askes a valid question.

Date: 08/14/19 08:30
Author: HB90MACH

Chalk stick and scrap it into a powder.  It is the same particle size as portland dust.  

Date: 08/14/19 08:37
Author: SeaboardMan

It’s a valid response.  He wanted to know what looks like cement dust.  Real cement. And there is always a little spillage in that area of both HD and Lowe’s.  I’m sure they won’t mind you cleaning up a little for a small project.

Date: 08/14/19 11:07
Author: wjpyper

SeaboardMan Wrote:
> It’s a valid response.  He wanted to know what
> looks like cement dust.  Real cement. And there
> is always a little spillage in that area of both
> HD and Lowe’s.  I’m sure they won’t mind
> you cleaning up a little for a small project.

Good answer. I agree with you.
Bill Pyper
Salem, Oregon

Date: 08/14/19 13:22
Author: dlh

I like to use sanded grout. There will be several color choices that replicate the color of cement you have in mind.

Date: 08/14/19 14:00
Author: jburek

I think it's a good answer.  What would it harm to inquire.  It wouldn't pay to buy an entire bag would it.

Date: 08/14/19 14:01
Author: jburek

Good advice Jeff - let us know how it works out.

Date: 08/14/19 15:20
Author: gnguy

Cement dust from Home Depot is a great answer.  That is exactly what I did when I weathered my cement hoppers.  I gathered up a small dixie cup full and that weathered all my hoppers with a lot left over.
Mike Stewart 
Oakley, CA

Date: 08/14/19 15:32
Author: march_hare

I’ve noticed variations in the dust color around cement plants, probably due to weathering of the dusty material as it ages. For modeling purposes, I’ve done a few tests of different materials, applied as a light dust, and then sprayed lightly with wet water and matte medium. 

So far, varying applications of powdered wallboard compound, straight plaster of Paris, hydrocal, and #3 Portland cement ( the quick setting stuff, a bit finer grained than the ordinary #2) have worked well. A tiny bit of yellowish weathering powder helps, too. 

The biggest thing to remember member is that virtually everything has to be a dead flat surface. Unless they bought it yesterday, everything will have a matte finish.  There are powdery gray spray paints now available in rattle cans that are good at creating this effect. 

Good luck with the project. I’m about a year behind you in modeling an older plant. 

Date: 08/14/19 16:22
Author: Ray_Murphy

Here in Montreal a 30 kg (60 lb) bag costs $5.00. Buy a whole bag for half the cost of a bottle of model paint.

Ray 

Date: 08/16/19 17:05
Author: navarch2

Agreed....sanded grout should work really well...I use it around a team track that unloads Flexi-Flo cars.  Cheap and a lot of it for the money.

dlh Wrote:
> I like to use sanded grout. There will be several
> color choices that replicate the color of cement
> you have in mind.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds