Home Open Account Help 162 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers Proto SD9

Date: 09/06/19 16:39
Walthers Proto SD9
Author: fbe

My MILW preorder came in to the local brick and mortar yesterday. This is a smooth running and nicely finished model. It is set to run on DC and will smoothly start about mid throttle without needing to go to nearly full throttle. The ESU Lok Sound decoder has a nice SD9 sound.

The finish is a little intense. An overall layer of flat dust to tone it down will be nice. The rooftop silver spark arresters are probably a first for a production model. These are nicely shaped but they stand too high off the roof. Walthers mounted them on top of the exhaust stacks while the MILW cut the stacks flush with the roof then mounted the spark arresters. Walthers used round legs to support the arresters while the prototypes used flat strapiron for legs.

There are all weather windows on both sides of the cab while it was common on the MILW only find one on the engineer's side. That' OK since one of the parts bags has a roof mounted window shade to replace the box.

There is an assortment of parts in two enclosed bags. Unfortunately most of these cannot be identified in the parts diagrams.

I am happy with the model and I think it will be a nice operating model. It is not Genesis quality but can certainly be upgraded if you like. The handrails on the corners are nicely done.

Date: 09/07/19 04:20
Re: Walthers Proto SD9
Author: funnelfan

I noticed the various SP and Burlington models are now showing an expected arrival on Oct 28th, 2019.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/07/19 07:04
Re: Walthers Proto SD9
Author: SPDRGWfan

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I noticed the various SP and Burlington models are
> now showing an expected arrival on Oct 28th, 2019.

The SP is tempting. SD9s were regulars through Davis when I lived there in the 70s.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds