Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Model Railroading > Cement for Walthers Structure Kit?

Date: 09/09/19 16:01
Cement for Walthers Structure Kit?
Author: bioyans

Hi All:

Quick question, regarding the best plastic cement to use on a newer Walthers structure kit. Started assembling their 933-4036 Rail-to-Road Aggregate Transfer kit (HO Scale), and found that my bottle of Testor's plastic cement (liquid) had no affect on bonding the pieces together. Even after a few moments of holding the parts together, applying cement to the joint from behind with a brush, it failed to bond the parts. They simply fell apart, as if nothing stronger than water had been applied.

This is the first time I've ever experienced anything like this. Testor's liquid cement always worked well in the past. Granted, this bottle is old and near the bottom (leaving lots of air inside when closed) ... but would that have any affect on its ability to bond styrene together? Other plastic kits seem fine.

Has Walthers changed the formula for their plastic? Any ideas on a cement that is more effective?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/19 16:14 by bioyans.

Date: 09/09/19 16:06
Re: Cement for Walthers Structure Kit?
Author: SantaFeRuss

Gell Gorilla Super Glue. The best for rolling stock and buildings.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 09/09/19 16:19
Author: binder001

Interesting, because I have had generally good luck with the Testors liquid.  It DOES take a while to set up compared to my usual (Ambroid or the recent MicroMark copy).  As the poster mentioned above, you can use ACC ("super glues").  Some major joints benefit from the classic Testors Glue (like the stuff we used to get in a tube).  It takes a while to set but I have had good results with using it for major assemblies (walls, roof, etc.).  

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 09/09/19 16:34

Testor's always worked well in the past, which is why I was surprised at how ineffective it was. Didn't even craze the surface of the plastic.

May try a new bottle, and see if that works any better.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/09/19 17:02
Author: map

Ambroid Pro Weld was my go to for years until they stopped making it.  I recently assembled the same Walthers kit using Plastruct's Plastic Weld.  No complaints as it did the job.

Mike Peters
Brentwood, MO

Date: 09/09/19 19:44

Problem solved ... turns out the bottle of cement had gone bad since its last use. Upon closer look, it appears the solvent had evaporated off, and the color shifted toward a yellowish color.

Dug out a new bottle I had stashed away, and it grabbed perfectly.

Thanks again.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/09/19 22:18
Author: gnguy

I second the use of MEK.  a quart will last a lifetime and only $6.  It bonds real well.

Date: 09/10/19 14:05
Author: robert162

what walthers kit is that ?

Date: 09/12/19 08:25
Author: map

robert162 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what walthers kit is that ?

Robert, if you are talking about the photo, that's the Walthers 933-4036 Rail-to-Road Aggregate Transfer Kit the original poster mentioned.

Mike Peters
Brentwood, MO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds