Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Model Railroading > Mainline Modeler Pullman Plans

Date: 09/10/19 13:02
Mainline Modeler Pullman Plans
Author: fltenwheeler

Hi

I am looking to verify a spreadsheet that I am working on. It contains Pullman floor plans that have appeared in Mainline Modeler. If anyone can add information I would be grateful.

Thanks

Tim Meyer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/19 13:04 by fltenwheeler.

Date: 09/10/19 22:04
Re: Mainline Modeler Pullman Plans
Author: MojaveBill

They did a great job publishing these plans then, which may have helped get some models produced.
I used some of them for kitbashing.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 09/11/19 04:03
Author: CPR_4000

I wonder why they did some twice? Any difference between the earlier and later drawings? Also there's one plan number that doesn't show the type of accommodations.

Date: 09/11/19 04:33

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder why they did some twice? Any difference
> between the earlier and later drawings? Also
> there's one plan number that doesn't show the type
> of accommodations.

On some of the information all I use was a picture of of the index for the magazine. I would like anyone that has a copy of the magazine help me update the list.

Thanks

Tim

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/11/19 07:34
Author: BoilingMan

Try contacting the California State RR Museum Library. They have a pretty extensive magazine collection and will copy what you want and send it to you- an amazing service!
SR

Date: 09/11/19 14:19
Author: trainnut7

I will look through my drawings in a day or two and get back to you.  Most of these old mags can be bought on ebay through old mag dealers.  You just have to look for them.

Date: 09/11/19 18:32
Author: wabash2800

Most model railroad magazines you can't give away. Mainline Modelers can go anywere from $4 to $20 or more each depending on which ones. Anyone who has a complete collection can get some bucks.Try finding the first issue! I wonder what someone would want for that one?

Victor A. Baird
http/www.erstwhilepublications.com

trainnut7 Wrote:
> I will look through my drawings in a day or two
> and get back to you.  Most of these old mags can
> be bought on ebay through old mag dealers.  You
> just have to look for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/19 18:33 by wabash2800.

Date: 09/11/19 21:01
Author: PHall

wabash2800 Wrote:
> Most model railroad magazines you can't give away.
> Mainline Modelers can go anywere from $4 to $20 or
> more each depending on which ones. Anyone who has
> a complete collection can get some bucks.Try
> finding the first issue! I wonder what someone
> would want for that one?
>
> Victor A. Baird
> http/www.erstwhilepublications.com
>
> trainnut7 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I will look through my drawings in a day or two
> > and get back to you.  Most of these old mags
> can
> > be bought on ebay through old mag dealers. 
> You
> > just have to look for them.

Which is why I got the CD from the C&O Historical Society that has the COMPLETE Mainline Modeller library from the first to last issue.
A bit pricy but worth it.

Date: 09/12/19 07:02

I have found a few more to add to your list.
2522 C   7 Comp 2 Drawing Rm  4-85 issue
2585 D   10 sect  1 Drawing Rm   2 Comp   8-85 issue
4158 and 4172  both in 3-87 issue
3975 C   3-1-Lounge  10-88 issue
Hope this helps, and good luck with your work.

Date: 09/12/19 10:49

trainnut7 Wrote:
> I have found a few more to add to your list.
> 2522 C   7 Comp 2 Drawing Rm  4-85 issue
> 2585 D   10 sect  1 Drawing Rm   2 Comp  
> 8-85 issue
> 4158 and 4172  both in 3-87 issue
> 3975 C   3-1-Lounge  10-88 issue
> Hope this helps, and good luck with your work.

Thanks

Tim

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/12/19 11:00

fltenwheeler Wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Tim
> trainnut7 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have found a few more to add to your list.
> > 2522 C   7 Comp 2 Drawing Rm  4-85 issue
> > 2585 D   10 sect  1 Drawing Rm   2
> Comp  
> > 8-85 issue
> > 4158 and 4172  both in 3-87 issue
> > 3975 C   3-1-Lounge  10-88 issue
> > Hope this helps, and good luck with your work.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/12/19 12:48

The Mainline Modeler mags are out there on E Bay.  I found two plans that I did not have. 

Date: 09/12/19 17:21

Here is the updated list.

Tim

Date: 09/13/19 13:27
Author: pullmanboss

Notes on your updated list...
The Walthers and Branchline 10-1-2 sleepers are Plan 3585, not 2585. Plan 3xxx cars are (generally) a foot longer than Plan 2xxx. 
The Branchline 6-3 is Plan 3523 or 3523A while the Walthers is Plan 3523C. They are both 6-3's but have different floor plans so are not identical models. The series name is "Glen".
Plan 3583 series name is "Willow".
Plan 3584 series names are "Point" and "Peak".
I think your Plan 3963 is a typo. The plan in that issue was 3973.
Plan 3979's most common series name is "Cent". 
Plan 3980 series name is "Night".
Plan 3997 series names are "Mansion" and "House".
Plan 4022 series name is "Emerald".
Plan 4036 series names are "Clover" and "Garden".
Plan 4058 cars were lightweights. My MAINLINE MODELERs are up in the attic so I can't pull the issue to see what drawing you're referring to.
Plan 4060 and 4084 series name is "Poplar". Both are 6-6's but have completely different floor plans.
Plan 4061 cars were numbered tourist cars converted from named 12-1 sleepers from both 2410x and 3410x populations. 
Plan 4090 series name is "Tower".
Plan 4153 and 4154 cars were lightweights, series name "Eagle".
Plan 4168 cars were lightweights.
After the war, the demand for roomette sleepers was so great that Pullman pulled a number of old, non-air conditioned 12-1 section sleepers from storage and rebuilt them with roomettes. They were air conditioned and given various "tree" names.  The external differences (window placement) were minimal but the interiors were completely different. On your list are Plans 4158 ("Elm") and 4172 ("Oak").

On my web site (pullmanproject.com) you can download a rather large Excel spreadsheet listing all of the heavyweight and lightweight sleepers and parlor cars Pullman built or operated, starting with the first steel sleeper, JAMESTOWN. Included are all the Budd and ACF sleepers Pullman staffed and maintained, but cars that Pullman built for railroad ownership and operation, like coaches and business cars, are not. All info in it came from original Pullman records, and it is as complete as those records permit. You can see how each car was equipped and painted over its life span. Assignment information is not included.

Tom Madden

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/19 15:29 by pullmanboss.

Date: 09/13/19 14:56

Thank you for your help Tom.

Tim

Date: 09/13/19 15:28
Author: pullmanboss

Correction - I got the Walthers and Branchline 6-3 Plans reversed. The Branchline is 3523 or 3523A; the Walthers is 3523C. I'll edit the original post.

Tom M.

Date: 09/03/22 07:01
Author: wbrian1

Tom,

I am not sure if this is the correct place for my message, but I just joined Train orders.com and am trying to learn the ropes.  Among my growing list of reference materials relating to a Pullman car name search, I found your web site I and will today searching for information on the following:

1. Origin of the names for the Pullman heavyweight sleeper cars built 1923/24 and named after Medieval European Saints (The Saint's Series) -  I have four Golden Gate Depot O scale 21" Pullman sleepers ) St. Anthony, St. Albans, St. Alexis, St Huberts), and in response to a question posed by a fellow train club member concerning the origin of the names, began a search that has led to the 80-car "Saint's Series" of 1923/24. I just purchased John H. White, Jr.'s  2-vol. "The American Railroad Passenger Car" and recently returned via inter-library loan, Ralph Barger's vol. 1 "A Century of Pullman Cars".  These and other sources uncovered so far, address the general results of the Pullman naming committee efforts, but as yet, I have found nothing concerning the specific mechanics behind the committee's decision to select certain topics for the name designations.  Barger's book states that there was  "neither rhyme or reason" governing for the selection of names, but some research had to be involved in selecting names for series such as the Greek and Roman names and the Saints.  Since more than half of the names in the Saint's Series are relatively obscure (History was my major and I taught the subject in college prior to entering a career with the U.S. Government), I am interested in trying the trace committee's original sources and why the topic was chosen in the first place. Any suggestions you could provide would be appreciated.

2.  A friend asked if it was possible to determine the name origin of the "McGivney" 12SecDr sleeper listed in Barger's vol. 1 as plan 3410 lot 4845 with a production date of 2-5/1925.  My initial response was that it might not be possiblle, but if you think that materials may be available I will add it to my Saint's Series research. I live in the Washington, D.C. area and have a Library of Congress card, and as a Smithsonian Associate, can access the American History Museum archives. After an injured knee heals, I intend to  visit both institutions to research the Pullman name question and other railroad-related subject.

Thank you,
 wbrian1
Martin Dougherty

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1025 seconds