Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Model Railroading > La Belle gear oil vs. La Belle gear grease

Date: 09/15/19 11:23
La Belle gear oil vs. La Belle gear grease
Author: UP951West

Which is better to use on gear boxes and geared axles ? La Belle gear oil or La Belle gear grease for plastic gears ?
Which lube type is better on older brass loco gears ? Thanks in advance. --Kelly

Date: 09/15/19 12:49
Re: La Belle gear oil vs. La Belle gear grease
Author: EL-SD45-3632

I use fishing reel white grease for plastic and my hobbytown drives. Two to three drops goes a long way. 

Date: 09/15/19 16:24
Author: MrMRL

Try Labelle 106 plastic compatible (white Teflon) grease. Works well for open and enclosed plastic gears/boxes.

Mr. MRL

Date: 09/16/19 09:07
Author: grahamline

The oil should be placed, in tiny amounts on the oilite bearings on the motor shaft and on the bearings that carry the worm gears. Use grease, lightly, on the gear tower and axle gears in the truck assembly. I use the end of a wire, or a toothpick, as an applicator.

Date: 09/16/19 12:58
Author: railstiesballast

I recently replaced some Athearn gears in a 3-axle truck that had two elements of wear.
Some had enlarged shaft holes and some had worn either the gear teeth or the shaft openings such that the gears barely engaged.
I put new gears in to tighten up the gear tooth engagement.
I had simply ignored the lubrication of the whole gear train, only putting small dabs on the metal bearings and the worm gear.
On re-assembly I put some 5 WT "Nano Oil" on the gear shafts and teeth.
Question:
Would a better lubrication plan be to put La Belle 106 on the gear shafts and teeth?
TIA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds