Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Model Railroading > Something Brewing on the Onondaga Cutoff

Date: 11/05/19 11:56
Something Brewing on the Onondaga Cutoff
Author: RGDave

October has been as usual a great month of fun activities besides adding to the layout, but I have found time over the last few weeks to make progress on the Peter Doelger Brewing Company at Euclid, NY.  It's a nice kit from Heljan that has plenty of options.  

1.  The buildings mostly assembled now, it was time to do some sidewalk work with styrene and paint.  Here's the rough forms being test fit.

2.  I weathered the brick structures in layers to get the look of worn bricks, and with some more to come, it's getting there.  Here we have painted up the concrete and it is ready to be glued in place.

3.  Lights add a lot to scenes especially at night - here's the truck dock at the bottling house. 

As the anchor customer for the Minoa & Euclid, the resident shortline on the Onondaga Cutoff, there's lots to brew here.   Good think there's plenty of customers in the room during sessions!  

~RGDave
https://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 11/05/19 14:45
Re: Something Brewing on the Onondaga Cutoff
Author: Kemacprr

Wow  a blast from the past  !!  The Heljan Brewery ! before Walthers , Revell and DPM the go to buiuldings for American industrial structures. I have one on the Buffalo line filling in for Amerocan Olean Tile Co. ----------  Ken 

Date: 11/05/19 16:16
Author: Hookdragkick

Who is Eliot Ness waiting for in photo #3? :p. 

Date: 11/05/19 16:24
Author: Betsy

Hookdragkick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who is Eliot Ness waiting for in photo #3? :p. 

That was my take!  Great scene, it has a wonderful film noir vibe with the trench coat and fedora hat.  Though I'll admit I was leaning more towards Bogart and The Maltese Falcon...

Elizabeth

Date: 11/05/19 16:57
Author: patd3985

Hookdragkick Wrote:
> Who is Eliot Ness waiting for in photo #3? :p. 

Bootleggers! It's a brewery during prohibition isn't it?..Or is he late by 90 years or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/19 17:00 by patd3985.

Date: 11/05/19 19:01
Author: RuleG

Really like the third photo.

Does your layout have a tavern where people can partake of the amber fluids produced by the brewery?

Date: 11/05/19 19:58
Author: tomstp

Whatever it is , it is a great shot.

Date: 11/06/19 04:41
Author: SPDRGWfan

Cool.  Speaking of brew, I've always found it cool that my favorite RR hauled brew in the 61' PC&F beer RBL box cars, offered by Eel River and ExactRail.  They were typically lettered for BN, ATSF, WP, SP and D&RGW in blocks heading up the Front Range from the Coors Golden Colorado plant.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 11/06/19 05:33

LOL, that figure was a bit of a throwback!   Today there are amazing craft breweries and brewpubs throughout the region.  Syracuse alone has several, and my personal favorite is Prison City Brewpub out in Auburn, NY, west of Syracuse.  but Brewing in the 1990's in upstate NY was a different business than it is today - less young, bearded brewers.  Doelger was an old company, and I figured an overly-official looking manager figure would add to the scene.  

As far as modeling taverns, there are plans for at least three in the small town of Fayetteville, which is currently under construction.  I'm looking forward to those projects!

~RGDave
https://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 11/06/19 05:49
Author: SPDRGWfan

RGDave Wrote:
>  Today there are amazing craft breweries and
> brewpubs throughout the region.  Syracuse alone
> has several, and my personal favorite is Prison
> City Brewpub out in Auburn, NY, west of
> Syracuse.  but Brewing in the 1990's in upstate
> NY was a different business than it is today -
> less young, bearded brewers.  Doelger was an old
> company, and I figured an overly-official looking
> manager figure would add to the scene.  
>
> As far as modeling taverns, there are plans for at
> least three in the small town of Fayetteville,
> which is currently under construction.  I'm
> looking forward to those projects!
>
> ~RGDave
> https://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

I struggled to live in Syracuse, with it's depressed economy and lack of jobs, and raised in California the lake effect snow was my bane.  BUT, there were a few bright spots including the lovely summers and some local breweries and places to go.

Speaking of craft breweries, they seem to have exploded especially in the last 10-20 years.  They are literally everywhere out in the country side of northern Virginia (west of DC).   My wife and I have visited several and they make the commercial beers seem bland and unappealing.  My favorite was a limited run of Trappist Monk Night Watch beer.  A sort of sweet dark beer which was high in alcohol content.  Delicious but you wouldn't drink large glasses of it, at least not me.

Getting back to Syracuse, during the last 8 or so years I lived there, a good friend would hold dungeons & dragons game nights at his house.  He usually had a keg from The Middle Ages Brewery in Syracuse and had adapted a small fridge with a tap, so it would be always cold and ready to pour.  That and his pulled pork (a recipe he got from the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse), was also a favorite and went nice with the beer.  My wife and I make it regularly here in Virgina.  Mmmm...

Cheers, Jim

Date: 11/06/19 07:26
Author: Jimmies

Good looking buildings there Dave.  Well done.

Jim

Date: 11/06/19 15:47
Author: JUTower

Excellent progress, as always. Keep it coming!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/06/19 21:59
Author: Hookdragkick

What kind of "beer" rolling stock could find out in '90s New York?

Date: 11/19/19 11:07

Thanks for all the kind words!

'Beer' rolling stock in CNY in those days would mostly have been insulated box cars, many of them second-hand and showing their age.  Classic 1970's 70-ton boxcars would bring packaging in as well as hops, with 50'- and 54' covered hoppers bringing in the barley, wheat and oats for the brewing process.  I've got a few repainted and/or patched insulated boxcars owned by Doelger lettered PDBX for beer shipments.

~RGDave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds