Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Model Railroading > ScaleTrains Multi-Max & SD45

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/09/19 07:45
ScaleTrains Multi-Max & SD45
Author: CSX602

ScaleTrains has just posted pages for ordering their Gunderson Multi-Max auto racks which will be available in both HO and N scales, and in both Rivet Counter and Operator detail/price levels...

And yes, Atlas had just announced HO model of the same prototype back in March...

PS.   And the new era loco is the SD45.... in both Rivet Counter and Operator levels.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/19 08:24 by CSX602.

Date: 11/09/19 08:20
Re: ScaleTrains Multi-Max & SD45
Author: inyosub

So they pulled off a double suck of duplication... come on people there are only so many dollars, why duplicate?

Date: 11/09/19 08:21
Author: TCnR

Date: 11/09/19 08:37

Out of all the threads on all the forums about the new ScaleTrains "new era" locomotive I don't recall seeing a single person requesting or hoping it to be another SD45...

Remember all the "I could have had a V8" commercials? 
I'm thinking we could have had a GP30...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/19 09:15 by CSX602.

Date: 11/09/19 08:37
Author: CNW

The C&NW version of the SD45 looks perfect!  Complete with the non-dynamic brake option.  Great job ScaleTrains!

Dennis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/19 08:37 by CNW.

Date: 11/09/19 08:50
Author: superfleet

Finally a decent model of the classic SD-45, in affordable plastic versus the expensive brass ones I've owned over the years!!

Dan

Date: 11/09/19 09:09

SD45 Roadnames Announced (DCC-Ready/DCC+Sound pricing):
Rivet Counter ($185/$275): C&NW, PRR, SCL, SP
Operator ($100/$155): ATSF, Conrail, PRR, SP

PS.  I bought a new Athearn RTR SD45 - with unit specific detailing, metal grabs factory installed, and factory installed DCC and sound - for $87 last month.  To me the HO SD45 market was already flooded to the point where even fully detailed plus DCC and sound equiped units are being sold under $100 (even N&W and Southern high-hood SD45s).  Kato SD45s run like swiss watches and are also available at reasonable prices (under $80).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/19 10:07 by CSX602.

Date: 11/09/19 09:20
Author: sp8192

Well...they are offering them in undecorated.   That's a good thing!

Date: 11/09/19 09:56
Author: fbe

The Walthers Proto GP30 with Canon rooftop fans makes a nice model and even come with Alco trucks for MILW and SOO Line if you can find the.

Date: 11/09/19 10:11
Re: GP30s

... yes, if you can find them...   There is not an already existing glut of GP30s (except for the lower quality Spectrum models).   
Walthers/P2K Southern high-hood GP30s even without sound fetch high prices.  So there is definitely room in the market for another high quality HO GP30.

Date: 11/09/19 10:14
Author: ChrisCampi

I’m in for a couple SP units to run with my tunnel motors. I’m curious what drive they plan on using with the 45’s. The 40-2 or the tunnel motor drive.

Date: 11/09/19 10:21
Author: Betsy

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m in for a couple SP units to run with my
> tunnel motors. I’m curious what drive they plan
> on using with the 45’s. The 40-2 or the tunnel
> motor drive.

Since neither the SD40-2 nor the SD40T-2 frame is the same length as the SD45, a new "drive" is most likely.  Since motors and gearboxs (and indeed the Flexicoil trucks) have already been done by Scale Trains, most likely all that is needed is a new frame and drive shafts.

Elizabeth

Date: 11/09/19 10:31
Author: fbe

The ST SD45 models will have all the underframe piping and details missing in other production models.

CSX602 Wrote:
> Out of all the threads on all the forums about the
> new ScaleTrains "new era" locomotive I don't
> recall seeing a single person requesting or hoping
> it to be another SD45...
>
> Remember all the "I could have had a V8"
> commercials? 
> I'm thinking we could have had a GP30...
>  

Date: 11/09/19 10:41
Author: SlideSeller

CNW Wrote:
> The C&NW version of the SD45 looks perfect!
>  Complete with the non-dynamic brake option.
>  Great job ScaleTrains!
>
> Dennis

Second that!! Had my pre-order in for 2 at 1003, now I can get rid of those Atheran undec SD45's I have stashed away for kit bashing.

Date: 11/09/19 12:11
Author: MC6853

If they do later incarnations of the SD45 that Athearn has ignored (I'm thinking HLCX maroon-and-blue and CEFX Bluebird SD40M-2s), then they have my attention... Until then, my wallet is safe... Those SD45s are too old and the autoracks too new for my 1995-2007 era... But good job them for bringing some new stuff to the market...

Date: 11/09/19 12:38

fbe Wrote:
> The ST SD45 models will have all the underframe
> piping and details missing in other production
> models.

Looking at the Athearn RTR SD45 vs ST Operator SD45 (that's comparing same price range units at street price) it looks like ST Operator is the one missing the details... even the grabs.

Date: 11/09/19 18:06
Author: gandydancer4

I saw both the Atlas and Scale Trains versions of the Multi-Max at Trainfest Believe me. Atlas did a good job. Scale Trains did..well, an unbelievable job. And you'll want to pre-order this too. I know one custom painter who is thinking about getting TWO HUNDRED of them just for himself to "paint up". I don't know if he was serious or just being silly but I KNOW he does a LOT of paint jobs. The Scale trains Multi-Maxs' are cheaper retail than the Atlas ones as well, I think. Choose wisely.   ×     ×   

Date: 11/09/19 18:38
Author: mamfahr

> https://www.scaletrains.com/product-category/emd-sd45/

The CNW unit looks great, glad those are finally being offered in plastic.  However, I'm a little concerned about the significant "kink" in the walkway just under the cab in the photo of the 943.  I don't see that problem in any of the other model photos (ATSF, PRR, etc), so hopefully it's something isolated to that particular model (shell not properly snapped into place on the frame??).  I'll take a look at them once they arrive at hobby shops and will buy a few if the production models are ok.

Take care,

Mark   

Date: 11/09/19 18:58
Author: TCnR

Curious how the drive works out as well since the SD40T-2 could be unusual with the low profile see-through radiator screen thing going on. It would be great if the T-2 and SD40/45 frames played well together, something that never seems to happen with the Athearn set-up. They always seem to have a slightly different motor, or much lighter, or much heavier, hard to believe Goldilocks was not an SP modeler.

Date: 11/09/19 20:09
Author: MitchGDRMCo

Got this feeling the only carry over components drive wise would be PC boards, LEDs, motor, Flexicoils and not much else....

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0677 seconds