Home Open Account Help 143 users online

Model Railroading > Hanging shelf for under traintable

Date: 11/11/19 18:54
Hanging shelf for under traintable
Author: DocJohn

I am looking for a U-shaped shelf that I can screw into bottom of traintable.  Approximate dimensions would be 3-inches high by 15 inches wide.  Drawers are available, but I need something that is open front and back.

Thank you,

John

Date: 11/11/19 21:25
Re: Hanging shelf for under traintable
Author: fbe

If you built the table with framing and legs by yourself or with friends you have the skills and tools to build the shelf you are looking for. If you are using plywood and 1 by lumber you will need a table saw, chop saw and drill. If it will all be 1 by as in 1x2, 1x4, 1x6, 1x8 or larger all you need is a chop saw and drill.

Have at it now.

Date: 11/12/19 06:00
Author: bigmc83

I used a Closetmaid wire shelf and screw in hooks to get a hanging shelf under my layout for my DCC command station.  It's a wire shelf and can be bought in different sizes.  It's designed to hook into the wire racks you see in closets, but the eyelets worked fine.  It is not open in the back, but is coarse wire, so you can pass through wires, etc.  A Google search for "Closetmaid hanging shelf" should give you plenty of options/vendors.

-Sean

Date: 11/12/19 10:44
Author: PHall

bigmc83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used a Closetmaid wire shelf and screw in hooks
> to get a hanging shelf under my layout for my DCC
> command station.  It's a wire shelf and can be
> bought in different sizes.  It's designed to hook
> into the wire racks you see in closets, but the
> eyelets worked fine.  It is not open in the back,
> but is coarse wire, so you can pass through wires,
> etc.  A Google search for "Closetmaid hanging
> shelf" should give you plenty of options/vendors.
>
> -Sean

The open wire construction helps in keeping the boosters cool too. They tend to make a lot of heat.

Date: 11/13/19 17:22

Thank you very much for the great idea.  I orderd three.  Looks like some screw eyes into the bottom of the traintable with S-hooks connecting the wire basket to the screw eyss.  John

Date: 11/22/19 20:59
Re: Hanging shelf for under traintable -- pictures

Thank you to those who replied.  I purchased 3 Closetmaid wire shelves 4 x 17 x 21.  The first installation is pictured.  It is not under the traintables, but in my office.  Device on the shelf is the control unit and video processor for the security cameras that guard the exterior walls to the section of the building with my model railroads as well as other entry points to the building.  In addition to the power cord, there is an HDMI output cable to a monitor on my desk as well as 8 ethernet connections from the cameras.

john

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds