Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers SP SD9

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/14/19 07:35
Walthers SP SD9
Author: SPDRGWfan

Does anyone know when the Walthers SD9's will be shipping?  I checked Walthers site and under availability, it shows no date, but only Sold out or TBA.  I emailed Walthers to see if I they could let me know what the estimated shipping date is and no emails.  I check spam too, nothing.

Any clue?

Cheers, Jim

Date: 11/14/19 08:16
Re: Walthers SP SD9
Author: wingomann

I have one on order and the hobby shop said they were scheduled to get it in late November.  We shall see....

Date: 11/14/19 08:39

Some of the SD9's from the same announcement were delivered a couple months ago but the SP and maybe another were showing a couple months later.  I think the last expected date was end of Oct, but just like the G85 flat cars expected date has shifted forward in time, it looks like the SP SD9's have been as well.

The SD9's rebuilt in the 70's IIRC.  According to Don Strapacs Utahrails.net site, R8 was a program to rebuild diesels and lease them back to SP between 1970 and 1976 with E designations.  The GRIP program was from 1977-1980.  

http://utahrails.net/sp/sp-r8-grip.php

I'm guessing any SD9's I saw in the mid 1970's could have been rebuilt ones.  In fact when my class visited the Sacramento shops, it may have been SD9's or GP9's being rebuilt.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 11/14/19 08:47
Author: UPJeff

I just checked my backorder items with Walthers and the SP SD9 is one of the only items with no expected ship date. 

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 11/14/19 09:22
Author: wingomann

I'm looking forward to getting mine.  The SD9E's are the ones I remember the best and have lots of pictures of operating on the NWP.  I have a faint recollection of the SD9's with barrel headlights and no recollection of them in Black Widow.  I was too young.  Ironically I have operated a Black Widow SD9 - SP5472 when I was a qualified engineer on the NCRY.  But for me the Gray and Scarlett SD9E is my favorite locomotive.  I have Athearn SD9's that I added details on and thought they were pretty good until everyone pointed out the wide hood issue.  I've thought about buying Proto 2000 SD9's and upgrading them but there has been rumors for years of new SD9's coming out so I've waited.  I hope they're worth the wait.

By the way, in an era where manufacturers are making models with road specific details I can't believe that Broadway Limited is still taking a common model and just putting a different paint job on it then charging the same as prototype specific models.  Even just a simple thinkg like putting the air horn(s) in the right place would be a big improvement.  I consider their model on par with the Athearn/Roundhouse models but grossly overpriced.

Speaking of Gray and Scarlett locomotives, I'm surprised that Athearn hasn't made more Genesis SP GP9's in gray and scarlett.  The ones they released are hard to find.  I like the Black Widows - I have a model of the SP5623 but it's not the era I want to model.  I would like to add more GP9E's to my collection.

Date: 11/14/19 10:06

I just got word that they should arrive at Walthers mid-December.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 11/14/19 10:13

Jeff, on Walthers one shows Availability: TBA.  It's like they suddenly went off the radar into a black hole.  I didn't preorder one but would maybe like to pick one up from a vendor.

wingomann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm looking forward to getting mine.  The SD9E's
> are the ones I remember the best and have lots of
> pictures of operating on the NWP.  I have a faint
> recollection of the SD9's with barrel headlights
> and no recollection of them in Black Widow.  I
> was too young. 

I don't remember any in black widow or barrel headlights pm the SD9's coming through Davis and up throught the line to Woodland.  I was probably too young but I was watching the throughout mostly 1972 thru early 80's;.

> But for me the Gray and
> Scarlett SD9E is my favorite locomotive.  I have
> Athearn SD9's that I added details on and thought
> they were pretty good until everyone pointed out
> the wide hood issue.  I've thought about buying
> Proto 2000 SD9's and upgrading them but there has
> been rumors for years of new SD9's coming out so
> I've waited.  I hope they're worth the wait.

Yeah, I remember as a 14 year old getting the blue box Athearn SP SD45 for Christmas around 1973 or 74 as they were everywhere in my area.  But the nose looked fat.  I didn't know then that the whole body was fat and on some of the other Athearns as well.  I looked at the Proto 2000 SD9's but never bought any but these Walthers look pretty nice.

> By the way, in an era where manufacturers are
> making models with road specific details I can't
> believe that Broadway Limited is still taking a
> common model and just putting a different paint
> job on it then charging the same as prototype
> specific models.  Even just a simple thinkg like
> putting the air horn(s) in the right place would
> be a big improvement.  I consider their model on
> par with the Athearn/Roundhouse models but grossly
> overpriced.

Thats' BLI for you.  Someone was joking that they copied the KATO SD45 shell but the planned BLI SD45 is still delayed.  Then someone else said, maybe it's because they are waiting for the ScaleTrains version first.  ;-)

> Speaking of Gray and Scarlett locomotives, I'm
> surprised that Athearn hasn't made more Genesis SP
> GP9's in gray and scarlett.  The ones they
> released are hard to find.  I like the Black
> Widows - I have a model of the SP5623 but it's not
> the era I want to model.  I would like to add
> more GP9E's to my collection.

Same here.  Athearn did do some Genesis bloody nose GP9's but I didn't buy when they were out and now as you said, very hard to find.  There was a GP9 that worked the Hunt Wesson plant in Davis when I was in High School.  Wish they would do more, but of course the prices will be mujch higher.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 11/14/19 10:13

UPJeff Wrote:
> I just got word that they should arrive at
> Walthers mid-December.

Thanks for the update Jeff!

Date: 11/14/19 10:52

I spoke to my Walthers rep and all the SP ones are SOLD OUT at Walthers, so only what a dealer ordered is what they will get.  
The SP SD9s are leaving China this week or early next week for an arrival to Waltehrs mid-December.  As a dealer I would not expect to see them until first week of January.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 11/14/19 11:00

UPJeff Wrote:
> I spoke to my Walthers rep and all the SP ones are
> SOLD OUT at Walthers, so only what a dealer
> ordered is what they will get.  
> The SP SD9s are leaving China this week or early
> next week for an arrival to Walthers
> mid-December.  As a dealer I would not expect to
> see them until first week of January.

The website only shows the non-sound version as sold out for bloody nose SP,  so it must be messed up.  I've never preordered with Walthers ever until the G85's, of which I have 5 pre-ordered.  In the past, I've mostly managed to get what I need from one of a few vendors I typically use, but you do have to be watching for them as some products can sell out fast like the P-S 60' flat cars.   It does help to know when to keep a close watch on the dealer for arrival.  Thanks for the additional info!

Cheers, Jim

Date: 11/14/19 11:43

Went back in and doubled check,  Yes appears that some sound unit ones may still be available from Walthers.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 11/15/19 09:28
Author: inyosub

Thanks for starting this topic Jim and thanks to everyone who responded and contributed info and updates.
This has been something confounding me for a while. I have 3 on order my self, 2 DCC sound and one to have it added.
Walthers has frustratingly pushed the date over and over. Their horrible website does not  keep info current, or doesn't provide
it, or had mixed info that makes little sense. Dealers seem to be able to get better insight and thanks to them.
My gosh Mid December to early January how sad. One can order a new auto built and have it delivered within a few
weeks, but we wait month  after month for an engine that has been released in other roads and our Friends who ordered
those have in hand. 
It would be nice if Walthers actually had 'ambassadors" or other web fluent representatives that kept us up to date or took questions, feedback
or Remarks like Rapido or Scale Trains does. But they prefer to hide other than at train events. 

Date: 11/15/19 09:29
Author: sixaxlecentury

Could you blame them?   Do you see how some people treat manufacturer reps?  

Date: 11/16/19 08:00

inyosub, Walthers is one of the less communicative makers of HO model trains, it's true.  It took several days before my inquirey with Walthers was finally answered.  Here is the body of it:

"Unfortunately, the locomotives are running late. Please continue
to monitor our website for updates.  Once we receive a new expected delivery
date, it will be updated on our website."

I know many do appreciate being able to communicate with Rapido, ST, ExactRail etc.  I know I do.  But as also pointed out, some hobbyists are talking with extreme language against people who like the products put out by these and other companies and creating a very advisarial atmosphere.  Rather than being constructive, they justify throwing manners and decency out the window.  If it contineus, I wouldn't blame Rapido if they decided to cease offering US models and instead concentrate on his home countries hobbyists and the UK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/19 09:08 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 11/16/19 08:17
Author: KA7008

sixaxlecentury Wrote:
> Could you blame them?   Do you see how some
> people treat manufacturer reps?  

EXACTLY!
Have you seen how some people on THIS website treat Rapido and ScaleTrains?  I'd be inclined to just tell people to monitor the website and be done with it.
They need to step out of mom's basement once in a while and interact with actual humans.  

Date: 11/16/19 08:38

Thank you for that note SPDRGWFan (you sure have your RRs' prioritized right LOL!)
I agree Walthers is slow and sometimes snarky. I think they could benefit more than most from interaction.
Re: Rapido Scale Trains and others. I don't think I've comment to either of them on this forum, pretty new on here;
but I've found Rapido to be amazingly communicative (hadda trouble shoot an issue with an F40, have also just 
talked layout stuff with Jason) And I see Scale Train and Tangent both put info straight out to modelers and 
interact with them and it sure seems positive to me. And I do know modelers are tough critics. Overall a plus for them.

Date: 12/05/19 10:50

Got word from my dealer that he believes the Walters SP SD9s will be in shop by end of week.
This is good news for those of us needing the old Cadlillacs as power for a plow train on the Hill.
Hope this is true will give many of us a Merry Christmas. Cheers.

Date: 12/05/19 11:24

I am re posting this as it never rose to the top of Model Railroading list. Not sure, do I need to reply to 
1st message to get it to do that?    I'd just replied to my self as it was the last message in thread. 
___________________________________________________________________________________
-----Got word from my dealer that he believes the Walters SP SD9s will be in shop by end of week.
This is good news for those of us needing the old Cadlillacs as power for a plow train on the Hill.
Hope this is true will give many of us a Merry Christmas. Cheers.

Date: 12/05/19 11:41

inyosub Wrote:
> Got word from my dealer that he believes the
> Walters SP SD9s will be in shop by end of week.
> This is good news for those of us needing the old
> Cadlillacs as power for a plow train on the Hill.
> Hope this is true will give many of us a Merry
> Christmas. Cheers.

I got an email from a rep at Walthers yesterday saying they had received the SP SD9's.  I'm pretty tapped out what with Black Friday, Cyber Monday and all that but may try to swing a non sound version.  Those SP SD9's used to be regulars through Davis CA in the 70's and early 80's.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 12/05/19 11:56

Any idea why this doesn't show up at the top of the Model Railroading list? Anyone ? 
Seems newsworthy. And just odd nothing new is showing on that forum? Bueller ?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1185 seconds