Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Model Railroading > Blue Glow through fans...Tsunami 2

Date: 11/27/19 07:54
Blue Glow through fans...Tsunami 2
Author: M-420

I've been working on a loco project and reached the point where it was time to put in the sound decoder. I bought a Tsunami PNP (my first of that model), wired it up, tested it out and did a test fit of the shell over the decoder/frame. All good. It wasn't until later when I was running it around the layout that I finally noticed that the blue LED on the decoder was shining through the grill and roof fans.

You get so focused on the work sometimes....)-:No big deal, as I was taking the thing back apart anyway.  I painted over the diode while I had access to it.

Though one has to wonder why they added a lighted "power on" LED to a board which is installed INSIDE a model.  
I suppose that I could have just said that Scotty had found me some high quality dilithium Crystals for the warp drive...

Date: 11/27/19 07:59
Re: Blue Glow through fans...Tsunami 2
Author: BAB

Think it has a blink code and also lets you know if it has power or not.  Just there way of doing things never had much of a problem with mine.

Date: 11/27/19 10:07
Author: SP4360

Be better if it was a red diode glowing through the dynamic brake grill.

Date: 11/27/19 10:18
Author: CM1

Add a red led, make them flash, and you have a cop loco.

Date: 11/27/19 21:34
Author: Coast

Afix a black piece of electrical tape over it and you're set. 

Date: 11/28/19 00:42
Author: fbe

Here is a line from the OP.

"big deal, as I was taking the thing back apart anyway. I painted over the diode while I had access to it."

Date: 11/28/19 06:43
Author: acltrainman

The Tsunami had a red glow and it was to blink a code if something is going on. You could always add some thin Black plastruct inside the shell where toe light shows. It might even help sound in the long run as a baffle,

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 11/28/19 08:22
Author: ChrisCampi

“Though one has to wonder why they added a lighted "power on" LED to a board which is installed INSIDE a model.”

Remember they are not always inside the loco. For testing new installs it could be handy for testing as your going along.  I always test mine as I complete each stage of an install. Blue is a bit much though. Maybe the blue leds were on sale :-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0592 seconds