Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Model Railroading > 86 Footer DTI 26035

Date: 11/29/19 10:30
86 Footer DTI 26035
Author: Jimmies

I picked up another 86 foot DT&I boxcar at a train show a while back that's much like another that I posted here before.There are differences in the size and locations of the graphics however, and I think that the two will look really good coupled together.  The wheels have been changed out for metal ones, and those clunky looking original stirrup steps are replaced with brass ones from Yarmouth Model Works.  Anyway, after 8 or 9 hours total working time (well, it's not really work is it?) at the bench, this jumbo sized freightcar now looks a good deal more suited for operating on the layout.

Jim
https://jssxrailway.blogspot.coom

Date: 11/29/19 10:35
Re: 86 Footer DTI 26035
Author: bigkidpgh

That’s a really spectacular weathering job.

Date: 11/29/19 10:37

Thanks for looking.

Jim
https://jssxrailway.blogspot.com

Date: 11/29/19 10:41
Author: bnsftall

Excellent weathering job!

dt

Date: 11/29/19 11:23
Author: ghemr

Every new project you share with us keeps getting better and better!!

Date: 11/29/19 18:54
Author: SandPatch1

You MUST explain how you got the DOORS to look perfect..
excellent work.. 
dj

Date: 11/29/19 20:14
Author: Skuat

Jimmies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
 Should I also add one of the old
> barcode labels as well?
>
> Jim

Being that you are representing a beat up version of the as delivered scheme, yes you probably should include the ACI plates, just make sure to beat them up accordingly! Something kind of like this...

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/dti/dti26591f03.jpg

I would also recommend trying to glue up the underframe. I have a couple of the older Athearn 86' high cubes and cleaning the longitudinal ribs cast into the underframe and then mounting the seperate frame and crossmember casting to the floor. I also added blocks inside the body to give the underframe something solid to mount to and helps keep the car in one piece. Details West draft gear is another thing that greatly improves not only the looks of the car, but also the operation. If you don't want to get that fancy the Walthers swing draft gear is another option which is far more reliable than the factory Athearn set up. I attached a shot of an Athearn car with the DW draft gear for reference.

Great to see some modeling on here, keep the good stuff coming!

Scooter 

Date: 11/29/19 20:16

SandPatch1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You MUST explain how you got the DOORS to look
> perfect..
> excellent work.. 
> dj
>  
Well thank you very much.  I think the doors are aluminum, so no rust. I masked around the doors and then sprayed them with thinned "Espresso" acrylic craft paint, trying to approximate accumulated road grime. I highlighted the seams around the doors and their hardware with thinned black artist acrylic paint, and then sprayed a couple of light passes with grimy black and dullcote to finish up.  That's about it.

Jim
https://jssxrailway.blogspot.ca

Date: 11/29/19 23:48
Author: RailThunder

Beautiful work!

Date: 11/30/19 19:55

Scooter ... thanks so much for the tips.  All of my 86'er have the Walthers coupler conversion part, but I've run out of those now so the DW part might be a good option for me on future cars.

Jim

Date: 12/01/19 00:41
Author: SantaFeRuss

Very nice  job!

SantaFeRuss

Date: 12/01/19 12:29
Author: PHall

The DW draftgear with a long shank coupler is very flexiable and follows the prototype too.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds