Home Open Account Help 193 users online

Model Railroading > NCE CP6 circuit protector lights up under 1 engine load ?

Date: 12/01/19 15:23
NCE CP6 circuit protector lights up under 1 engine load ?
Author: robert162

Dear TOs   I have installed a NCE CP6 circuit protector(guess its no a circuit breaker) because layout is getting bigger. As i run one engine it begins to light , brighter with power increased is this normal? At on point the engine was "surging" and i could hear the MRC auto reverse making noise. wth. So now i am loosing my mind and have disconnect most wiring, any help would be great. TIA robert

Date: 12/01/19 16:13
Re: NCE CP6 circuit protector lights up under 1 engine load ?
Author: ChrisCampi

From NCE website.

Circuit protectiton for up to 6 sections of your railroad. Operates with ANY DCC system. Factory set to 1 Amp per section. Sections can be connected together for more power per section.”

From your photos above it looks like your running your 5 amp booster through a 1 amp circuit. You’ll need to gang them together it appears.

Seems odd. Not sure what this product would be useful for if you run multiple sound equipment loco’s. You might have to go with three 2amp districts or two  three amp districts. Except you have a five amp booster so maybe you have to gang five together for one 5 amp district or some variation, depending on what you run.

Good luck.

Date: 12/01/19 17:41
Author: robert162

Thanks CC, after more research i thinks TONYS TE has a PSX4 that i will order and shelve the CP6, i think

Date: 12/02/19 07:12
Author: BAB

You have one circut  for all six of your sections, each section should have its own feed from the protector. That way also you will have each one seperated so if something happens it will show where the problem is.  Thats why they have power districts right now you are overloading the one which is hooked up and your power supply five amp is not overloaded.  It would b better to get the Tonys ones and break it up like I said above. You also will need more than one amp protection if you run much more than two engines also.  Oh I use the Tonys as you can select the amps needed I wouls set it at three to four amps otherwise it might become a problem with it tripping out.  Hope you understand me, sometimes my message doesnt come across right. Boyd, oh I do have a layout its in ON3 and have learned the hard way about how to wire it for DCC.

Date: 12/02/19 18:06
Author: SimpleMoMike

I agree with the Tony's Trains circuit protectors, however, I like the PSX2 and put them in between the districts so I don't have to wire them back to a central location. Also, if you expand your layout, you can easily add a PSX2 in smaller increments than the PSX4. The only downside to these is that you have to solder in a buzzer if you want it to be audible alert. Otherwise, these are great.

Date: 12/04/19 19:41
Author: tunnel88

As you've already bought the device i believe you can rewire it to use multiple "lamps" to increase the allowable current. I'd check this page especially the last section, as this is a current limiting device for protecting the DCC component, not the decoder.

https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202382035-EB1-vs-CP6-

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1348 seconds