Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Model Railroading > Eastern B36-7s

Date: 12/08/19 10:20
Eastern B36-7s
Author: SOU3921

Here's my take on the Rapido B36-7s, at least NS, CR, and CSX.  They pull great and run great. I model NS in the late 90s in NC, so I have quite a bit of CR runthrough power and also the occasional CSX hurricane/derailment reroute.

I modified the NS unit to have an end of life look, added ditchlights revised antennas, new plows, and a couple of other minor items.  

Here is a not-everyday lashup of a B36-7/GP40X/GP40X/B30-7A1/GP49/and slug set on NS 750.

Here's the Conrail chugging along with NS265

Lastly will be the CSX units with a UPS detour train.  I think the yellow is a little light (compared to a AC6000 I painted), but it will weather nicely.

Cooper

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/08/19 10:23
Re: Eastern B36-7s

Part 2.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/08/19 10:39
Author: SeaboardMan

Like the video, but those backdrops look great.

Date: 12/08/19 11:02

Thanks the backdrops are from Trackside Scenery.  It's amazing what a difference it makes in the room.  

Date: 12/08/19 11:31
Author: hartrick24

They layout and locos look awesome...

Steve H...

Date: 12/08/19 12:10
Author: GP30M

Agreed, your scenery is very well done.

I think you have definitively shown that when seen from a normal HO viewing distance, all of the known detail issues with these models aren't even visible.

These B36-7s are some of the best generically detailed models ever released for Eastern railroad prototypes!

Posted from Android

Date: 12/08/19 12:17
Author: mully

Cooper

Those look amazing as does your layout

How in the world can you run an AC6000 with with B36 units thats not real, just kidding thats modeling its your railroad run what you want!!!

Gary

Date: 12/08/19 13:47
Author: jejhnsn

"how in the world............thats not real.............just kidding........."

Why do you feel you need to say this?  Just leave it as your first sentence.

Date: 12/08/19 14:11
Author: mully

I said it because some people would have a stroke because you would never see something like this in real world. I think it’s great!!! I think his whole layout is great

Gary

jejhnsn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "how in the world............thats not
> real.............just kidding........."
>
> Why do you feel you need to say this?  Just leave
> it as your first sentence.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/08/19 17:25
Author: Skuat

mully Wrote:
> I said it because some people would have a stroke
> because you would never see something like this in
> real world.

The first three 6000s showed up in ‘96 and the rest in ‘99-00, the B36-7’s lasted until ‘09-10, so there’s nothing wrong with having the two models in a lashup. Can’t say it was common, but definitely possible. And as others have noted, killer back drops! Even without much in the way of foreground scenery that’s a great looking layout. It’s also great to see a piggyback train with 89’ flatcars!

Keep the pics and videos coming.

Scooter

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/08/19 18:02
Author: SPDRGWfan

Where did you get your backdrops from?

Posted from Android

Date: 12/08/19 18:25
Author: NSTopHat

Cooper,

Great modeling as usual. What did you do to get the ditchlights to work on the NS unit, given the hurdle you discussed having to overcome on FB with the decoder board.

Russ

Date: 12/08/19 19:28
Author: alamode

I'm converting mine to a 1990s version after the "extra" lights were removed. Rapido includes that rear headlight piece with the blanks -- all I had to do was drill a small hole in it and paint it Scalecoat Scarlet. The front required sanding down of the gyralight and after removing the emergency light I cut its stand in half and mounted a .015" piece of styrene that had been airbrushed Scalecoat SP Dark Gray, than added the beacon. The BLMA Headlight blank was painted the same gray before mounting. I have since added a .006 piece of brass wire above the engineer's numberboard as an antenna and painted the armrests black.

Date: 12/08/19 19:51
Author: rapidotrains

It really is fantastic seeing what you guys are doing with the B36-7 locos. I love the customization!

-Jason

Date: 12/09/19 06:10
Author: sp8234

Great stuff!  Love the Roadrailer & UPS train.
Being in California & have a Swift Roadrailer Train (SP, UP, BNSF) & working on UPS stuff.  Saw an ex TCS Roadrailer in Santa Rosa Ca two weeks ago.
Have a couple of ?s about the CSX/UPS train.
 The #601, Is it brass or Broadway? If Broadway how are the insides? (Decoder,Etc,Etc)

What are the 45ft UPS trailers?

Thanks
Tim
Hanesworth

Date: 12/09/19 09:01
Author: Bucyrus-Erie

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> Where did you get your backdrops from?

I think you missed Cooper saying that they're from Trackside Scenery. Really look great, don't they. I'm getting ready to order from them. That guy "Joey" is a nice guy ... does good stuff.

Anyway, that is some great modelling. I dig that NS lashup of engines.

Jim Lee

Date: 12/09/19 13:55

Thanks for all the comments, Joey at Trackside is a super nice guy, he did a great job with my backdrop.

The AC6000 is a custom undecorated Broadway I built with a Kato motor and drive train on Athearn trucks, its got LokSound/LEDs and weights about 3 pounds. It will pull anything on the layout.

The UPS 45' are Atlas trailers I decalled with some old A line decals and some of the newer Walthers trailers mixed in.  

Cooper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/19 13:56 by SOU3921.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0648 seconds