Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Model Railroading > Repairing a broken water main!

Date: 01/09/20 13:49
Repairing a broken water main!
Author: Pattenburg

With rail traffic increasing coupled and heavier trains being run, vibrations from those trains caused this one-hundred year old water main to rupture. Seen here the site of the break has been excavated, that old section causing the problem cut out and the new piping ready to be lowered into place. But before that can be done, workers give it one final visual check to make sure everything is in place to correct this situation right the first time.

Date: 01/09/20 14:14
Re: Repairing a broken water main!
Author: miralomarail

Nice detail work there, and it reminds me of how once a local freight on the Santa Fe in Upland, Ca , parked their 2 GP30's on the track next to the station while they went to eat their lunch.
When they came back they found the lead loco sinking as, they broke a old water pipe , and had to use a crane to pick up their loco........LOL

Date: 01/09/20 14:28
Author: ghemr

Very nice scene!

Date: 01/09/20 17:08
Author: RFandPFan

Great scene, very well thought out!  To make it a more realistic municipal repair project you should add 5 or more "white hardhat" supervisors and a local politician with a news crew.

Date: 01/09/20 17:12
Author: rapidotrains

Phew! I thought your layout room had flooded! 

It happened to me in 2013. 

-Jason

Date: 01/10/20 04:08
Author: SPDRGWfan

rapidotrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phew! I thought your layout room had flooded! 
>
> It happened to me in 2013. 
>
> -Jason

How deep?  About 3/4 of my basment got an inch of water in it when the sump pump failed during a storm and the french drain backed up into the basement.  We had to rip out the laminate floor in one room and carpet in the train room, then I cut out the bottom portion of much of the drywall to treat the wood and well, I learned how to do drywall to restore it.  Came in handy last year when I finished the basement in the house we moved too.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 01/10/20 07:37
Author: Bob3985

Great scene and photo.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/10/20 13:18
Author: Kimball

Looks to me like the RR Police should investigate; clearly the City crew stole all the gravel from the nearby ROW!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0327 seconds