Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Model Railroading > Intermountain Value Line

Date: 01/10/20 12:40
Intermountain Value Line
Author: D0wnt1me

Saw these new Intermountain Value Line Hi-Cube Boxcars at Fizzboy7's shop in Northridge today (Smith Bros. Hobby). Haven't heard of Intermountain's Value Line before and after looking at the cars I'm a little dissapointed. Normal Intermountain boxcars retail for $32.95, and these go for $28.95. The cars are missing trainline airhoses, coupler levers, and other small details. My point being a value line should be more than $4 dollars cheaper than the standard item.

Thoughts?

Date: 01/10/20 12:41
Re: Intermountain Value Line
Author: tomstp

If they are not worth it, don't buy them.

Date: 01/10/20 12:52
Author: D0wnt1me

I didn't buy it.

Date: 01/10/20 13:13
Author: arizonaBNSF

Wow, just by those pictures, it does look like they are missing a good amount of detail. A lot of detail missing for only a 4 dollar discount. 

As is the case with other items, money talks. I really don't care about a lack of detail on most stuff because that is what keeps the costs down, but if it won't, might as well just spend a little bit more for complete detail. 

Date: 01/10/20 13:24
Author: ESPEE5318

Look like the old E&C shops /LBF cars and any other names they were sold under......

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/20 13:25 by ESPEE5318.

Date: 01/10/20 14:20
Author: NSTopHat

In regards to IMRC boxcars being $32.95 ea, or so, those are old prices. The next run of 60' PS1's are going to retail at $42.95 ea. IMRC doesn't appear to list any pricing for any current or future runs of PS 5277's or the 5283 double doors, which will probably retail in the mid $40's.

Date: 01/10/20 14:21
Author: PHall

And yet there are people who will buy these. High levels of detail is not important to everyone.

Date: 01/10/20 14:33
Author: SPDRGWfan

Yes, these are the former E&C shops box cars and yes, low detail.  They are warmed over and now sold by IMRC.

The question is, do they represent prototypes not otherwise available in HO model form.  I know the Rio Grande version is fairly close to this boxcar:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/drgw/drgw62018awb.jpg

The main difference I see between the IMRC Value line version is the door rods are spaced far apart on the prototype and are closer together on the model.  AFAIK, it's the only game in town for this prototype in HO.  I believe same may be true for some of the other versions.  You can use the model and weather it, or don't use it and not have that type of box car.  Or upgrade the IMRC car.  Or don't buy it.

Are there any other HO models of that prototype on the market?

Choose your poison.
Cheers, Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/20 14:35 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 01/10/20 14:35
Author: csx4793

I was also thinking the same for the atlas trainman line, to me their prices on that stuff are a little high and I thought that was the whole point of that line. I don't care about my cars having every detail I just want affordable cars.

Date: 01/10/20 14:35
Author: Matt_Gidley

I think the value line idea is excellent.  I don't think the price for this value car is excellent.  If the difference is that small, just shell out the extra couple bucks. 

Date: 01/10/20 15:31
Author: wingomann

csx4793 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was also thinking the same for the atlas
> trainman line, to me their prices on that stuff
> are a little high and I thought that was the whole
> point of that line. I don't care about my cars
> having every detail I just want affordable cars.

Get old Roundhouse FMC 50 boxcar kits.  They are affordable and seem to have about the same amount of detail.

Date: 01/10/20 15:35
Author: Fizzboy7

Sorry I missed you guys today!

You pose a good question, and it's cars like these which I give a lot of thought to before placing orders for the store.   From what I've seen in the past, the price cut vs. lack of detail is about right.   Most new Intermountain cars are going to be in the $40+ range.    So about ten bucks off for the value line seems to be about right.    I also had a few customers in mind when placing the order.    These few have a fun time buying and installing the extra parts needed.

For me personally, I like these cars simply because no one else has done them since the E&C Shops/LBF days.   They fill in well for 70's and 80's SP lumber trains.   Then many were rebuilt and repainted into GWS schemes, which lasted well into the UP era.   Some are still in use today, so the market appeal is spread over five decades worth of possible modeling.  

Another comparison would be Walthers basic 60' Gunderson high-cubes (TBOX, BNSF, UP, et al), which lack similar detail but retail for $29.99.    Those continually sell out for us (and for Walthers), and I suspect these will too once the word gets out.     

Jason Eminian
Smith Brothers Hobby Center
Northridge, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/20 15:37 by Fizzboy7.

Date: 01/10/20 16:06
Author: csx4793

wingomann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> csx4793 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was also thinking the same for the atlas
> > trainman line, to me their prices on that stuff
> > are a little high and I thought that was the
> whole
> > point of that line. I don't care about my cars
> > having every detail I just want affordable
> cars.

> Get old Roundhouse FMC 50 boxcar kits.  They are
> affordable and seem to have about the same amount
> of detail. 
that's what I have been doing but some of the prices on those on the bay are insane

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/20 16:09 by csx4793.

Date: 01/11/20 11:25
Author: inyosub

I would rather have access to these than not.  
These molds already existed and now you can buy the cars or not. Better than not having them,
as many are cars not otherwise done. Besides the boxcars and gons they have several Jumbo 
woodchip cars. If someone wants to do a better version no one is stopping them, but for beginner
or folks that want specific cars who might be starting out etc access to "blue box" type cars 
to add variety to a building fleet. Model RRing is not a huge market and this era cars are also
a needed range.

Date: 01/11/20 14:46
Author: SPDRGWfan

I know many of us have gotten spoiled with high detail cars in recent years, but these Value Line models do represent freight cars not otherwise available in plastic.  And, weathered the lack of detail may be less noticable.  If anyone has seen mellowmikes work with Accurail cars, they looked quite realistic and they were/are low detail cars.

Cheers, Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/20 19:10 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 01/12/20 10:54
Author: wko

The Value Line is indeed the former LBF/Hubert cars, IM purchased the remaining molds a few years ago (some were usable, a few were not).  As was mentioned, the price point is quite a bit lower per car than the original post would lead a person to believe.  In viewing IM's website, the price range of future releases is $34.95 up to $42.95 for the soon-coming 60' cars.  Many of the $34.95 cars were announced quite awhile ago prior to the AFFA closure and related supplier issues.  For a $28.95 retail, the car may lack smaller details but they still feature 2020 paint quality, IM or Accurail trucks (100 ton are IM, 70 ton are Accurail), IM metal wheels, and Kadee couplers. 
Another thing many on this board tend to forget is that the huge majority of modelers today do not shun a freight car just because it is not highly detailed.  They want it to look right, operate well, and not cost too much.  Many manufacturers realize this so offer a lesser-detailed line and those lines do well.  I picked up three of the cars and with a little weathering and some yellow hashes from Smokebox they'll look great on the layout.
Kirk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/20 10:57 by wko.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0825 seconds