Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Model Railroading > Shot with a cell phone....

Date: 01/12/20 05:14
Shot with a cell phone....
Author: wheel_slip

Messing around with the cell phone. It is getting to the point where a cell phone is is just as capable of shooting models as a 3500.00 DSLR. If I could just get a bit more depth of field on this thing.
The EMD SD40-2 is from ScaleTrains.com

Andy

Date: 01/12/20 06:49
Re: Shot with a cell phone....
Author: ghemr

Excellent weathering job----it look so real!

Date: 01/12/20 07:29
Author: Floridarailfan

Nice job! I use my cell phone exclusively for video shots on my layout b/c of the ease of attaching short video clips to text messages. This frequently requires me to lie on the floor (my layout is under the Christmas tree), but the video is pretty good.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/12/20 07:31
Author: atsf121

Andy, I haven’t tried any yet but there are photo stitching programs that will let you “merge” different photos together. My understanding is you would take a photo focused on the “layer” you wanted and then when you merge it with the photo focused on the engine, you get the effect you are looking for. Sounds like work, but might create some fun results.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/12/20 08:30
Author: ck3573

Very nice weathering!
Are the radiator grills modified or is it factory? Looks like two different styles of grill.

Chris

Date: 01/12/20 12:10
Author: Hookdragkick

Get in closer with the Ultrawide lens maybe... 

Date: 01/12/20 15:08
Author: wheel_slip

ck3573 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice weathering!
> Are the radiator grills modified or is it factory?
> Looks like two different styles of grill.
>
> Chris

Chris,
No, the grills are the same. I think the distortion you are seeing is due to the camera and its depth of field.

Andy

Date: 01/12/20 18:18
Author: DWitte

wheel_slip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Messing around with the cell phone. It is getting
> to the point where a cell phone is is just as
> capable of shooting models as a 3500.00 DSLR. If I
> could just get a bit more depth of field on this
> thing.
> The EMD SD40-2 is from ScaleTrains.com
>
> Andy

What brand phone do you have? The newer Samsung Galaxy's have a pro mode on the camera where you can adjust your fstop. Not sure about iPhones

Duane Witte
Holt, MO

Date: 01/16/20 07:02
Author: steam290

The MR photo contest specifically says in their guidlins, "no cell phone photos," but my issue with this is that I can get my phone into areas that my big camera won't fit.  The phone also has a greater depth of field.  I understand why they say no cell phones, for quality, however, I have shot some incredible stuff with my phone that I absolutely can not replicate with a real camera.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0629 seconds