Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Model Railroading > Handrail repair/replacement Athearn ALCO RS-3

Date: 01/19/20 14:36
Handrail repair/replacement Athearn ALCO RS-3
Author: DocJohn

My favorite locomotive needs repair/replacement of handrails.  I have two sets of replacement handrails, one platic and the other metail (Smokey Valley).  Which one would be easier to install?  I am not great with finger dexterity, so perhaps those who are more skilled and do such work professionally will contact me.  Locomotive is special not only because I photographed it when it was pulling passenger trains on New York Central' River Division, but also because it uses two NWSL powered trucks instead of the original Athearn drive mechanism (also has Tsunami decoder and speaker with good bass response).

John Lauterbach
Macon, GA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/20 14:37 by DocJohn.

Date: 01/19/20 15:19
Re: Handrail repair/replacement Athearn ALCO RS-3
Author: nikon1

DocJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My favorite locomotive needs repair/replacement of
> handrails.  I have two sets of replacement
> handrails, one platic and the other metail (Smokey
> Valley).  Which one would be easier to install? 
> I am not great with finger dexterity, so perhaps
> those who are more skilled and do such work
> professionally will contact me.  Locomotive is
> special not only because I photographed it when it
> was pulling passenger trains on New York Central'
> River Division, but also because it uses two NWSL
> powered trucks instead of the original Athearn
> drive mechanism (also has Tsunami decoder and
> speaker with good bass response).
>
> John Lauterbach
> Macon, GA
The wire hand rails are your best bet in the long run
Cheers
Charlie
MP 52.7 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Posted from Android

Date: 01/19/20 15:49
Author: jburek

The Smokey Valley handrail sets do take a little extra time putting on,  but will look superior to the plastic handrail sets.  I'd go with those just for aesthetics.  Applied two of their sets to a pair of RS11's & they look great.  Take your time - good luck.

Date: 01/20/20 08:23
Author: DocJohn

Thank you for your replies.  Two question: what adhesive to use and how to apply the very small qunatitties needed without making a mess?

John

Date: 01/20/20 10:47
Author: HB90MACH

Slow set Super glue is the best way.    Take wax paper or syran wrap or something like that.  Scrap plastic etc.  and put a small puddle in that.  Use a toothpic to dab into the puddle and apply.    That will control the amount applied.  Once the piece is position, zip kicker to set the super glue. 

Date: 01/22/20 10:01
Author: Arved

Assuming you don't want to solder, ACC (Superglue) is your only other option. Wax paper, a "Zip-Loc" bag (or similar - it's the material you want and not the bag) or my favorite - the cap of a soda bottle - will hold a drop of ACC. Use a needle to transfer the ACC to the joint. I hold a needle in a pin-vise to give something with substance to hold onto. That broke #80 drill bit you have will work, too.

The sides of the bottle cap seem to keep moist air away, so the ACC doesn't harden so fast.

Hard part, really, will be bending the wire handrails to the right shape. Use the old handrails as a pattern.

ACC is brittle, so if you flex the handrails too much, you may need to re-secure the joint and touch up the paint. Solder is much stronger, but you have to get in and out with a soldering iron pretty quick not to melt plastic.

Good luck!

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 02/05/20 16:56
Author: rrman6

Sounds like you have some good answers.  I've never understood why those New York Central switchmen are so hard on these handrails.  Guess they're too afraid of slipping off the walkway! 🙄😂

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0526 seconds