Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Model Railroading > Request for Assistance - NYC Tower Plans

Date: 01/22/20 05:40
Request for Assistance - NYC Tower Plans
Author: RGDave

All, Good morning!  A local friend and modeler and myself are embarking on a mission to kitbash or scratchbuild a model of the former NYC tower at CP-SJ (later CP 293) just west of Syracuse, NY, on the Water Level Route.  This was where the DL&W ducked under the NYC, and had a full interchange and junction with the NYC right east of the huge Solvay Process plant.  It is technically in Syracuse, NY, but right on the border with Solvay.  My vision is that this structure will live at my CP 282, replacing the foam+photo mockup there now.  
 I believe NYC called this SS #2, and replaced the wooden tower with a brick on that lasted into the Conrail era.  I've attached a few photos for reference.  I am in need of plans, blueprints, and/or dimensions for this structure including any detail measurements.  It looks to have followed NYC standards for details and some features, but seems customized for this spot compared to other photos I have seen of other locations.  I have checked multimodalways.org as well as the NYCT&HS site with no immediate success.  

1.  An eastbound passing CP 293 in about 1990, tower to the right.  Photo credit Chuck Edwards.
2.  A closer shot of the south side of the tower, circa early 1990's.  Photo credit Frank Garon.  

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

~RGDave
https://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 01/22/20 09:09
Re: Request for Assistance - NYC Tower Plans
Author: King_Coal

Nice photo. Pretty healthy looking tower.

Date: 01/23/20 11:20
Author: DocJohn

New York Central System Historical Society has a NYC Eastern Lines Tower kit that might be a start.  NYCSHS may also have the plans for the tower you are interested in.

John

Date: 01/29/20 10:56
Author: RailBaron84

Dave,

If you have photos of all 4 sides of the tower, it's not too hard to make your own plans for scratchbuilding. I've done soemthing similar for a PRR brick tower that I created drawings for and briefly sold as a laser-cut acrylic kit before I found creating decals to be my true calling. 

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds