Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Model Railroading > Atlas' new Santa Fe U28CG's

Date: 01/24/20 12:50
Atlas' new Santa Fe U28CG's
Author: RRBMail

Atlas has announced new Santa Fe passenger U28CG's that were usually found on the head-end of the Texas Chief. However, the model will have black trucks and fuel tank. I wrote Atlas that they should be silver. They sent me a delivery photo showing one with black trucks--Yikes! Yuk! Atlas did tell me that the silver version will be in the second run--hope I live to see them! Can any TO post a photo of the black version in service? 
Also, do any TOs know if ATSF's U28CG's were used on other passenger trains besides the TC? Any photos as such? When was the silver applied? I will try to post the delivery photo once I get back in the office. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/20 12:54 by RRBaron.

Date: 01/24/20 13:27
Re: Atlas' new Santa Fe U28CG's
Author: UPJeff

I model the Santa Fe and have many pics of the U28CGs.  Used on other trains and I even have one on a passenger train after they were supposedly banned from passenger service.  Atlas got the as delivered correct, based on the drawings.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 01/24/20 13:31
Author: GRNDMND

Santa Fe used a few of them on San Diegans betwee LA-San Diego for a brief period of time. Also used in Super-C service.

KC

Date: 01/24/20 15:20
Author: atsf5704

Date: 01/24/20 22:11
Author: RailThunder

So are the silver underbodied ones coming in the 2nd release correct for late passenger service on the Santa Fe or were they already in freight service?  Also, in the first release with the black underbodies if they were repainted silver by the modeler would they be correct for the later paint schemes?  in other words no wrong paint above the side sills on the first release?  I'm trying to accomplish the last scheme they wore in passenger service before being demoted to freight service.  

UPJeff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I model the Santa Fe and have many pics of the
> U28CGs.  Used on other trains and I even have one
> on a passenger train after they were supposedly
> banned from passenger service.  Atlas got the as
> delivered correct, based on the drawings.
>
>  

Date: 01/25/20 05:56
Author: mmosher

They were delivered with black fuel tank & trucks and pilot faces painted red.  After a couple years, Santa Fe painted the fuel tank and trucks and pilot faces silver.

Michael Mosher
Millville, NJ

Date: 01/25/20 07:51
Author: tomstp

What's wrong with painting the black to silver?

Date: 01/26/20 12:22
Author: Arved

tomstp Wrote:
> What's wrong with painting the black to silver?

Too much work for the lazy modeler.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 01/26/20 14:09
Author: Typhoon

Arved Wrote:
> tomstp Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What's wrong with painting the black to silver?
>
> Too much work for the lazy modeler.

Or maybe he doesn't own an airbrush.  Maybe he is not confident with his airbrushing skills.  There could be a lot more going on here, besides being "lazy".

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds