Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Model Railroading > Model Master Paint bottle issues

Date: 02/15/20 15:51
Model Master Paint bottle issues
Author: bearease

I've been using Model Master acrylics for washes, weathering, etc. But I have a few bottles who's lids have sealed up like glue. I can't even wrench those caps off!
Anybody have any tips for both, removing the stuck caps and then avoiding the problem in the first place?
Much appreciated.

--B

Date: 02/15/20 16:00
Re: Model Master Paint bottle issues
Author: binder001

It usually seems to come from paint that has gotten on the cap threads.  1) wipe the bottle top and threads before securing the lid, 2) I have had good luck with taking an old brush and flowing some of Model Master's Dried Acrylic Paint Remover into the cap threads with the bottle upside down.  That helps debond the paint that has stuck the lid.  After a little time for actions I turn the bottle right side up and gently use a pliers to rotate the cap.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 02/15/20 16:47
Author: wjpyper

I put a small amount of Vasoline in the cap threads for all types of paint.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 02/15/20 17:38
Author: tomstp

Turn on your sink water and let it get hot. Place the bottle in the hot running water directly on the bottle head..   Then take pliers and put them on the lid and hold the bottle with your hand.  It should come off with a little pressure.

After it does and you are  through using it, wipe the top of the threads.  Then get some wax paper (get it in grocery store) and cut a piece to go over the threads and put the top back on and screw it down gently to where it won't turn.  It should open freely the next time, if it does not, put it under the hot water again.

I have done this for 30 years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/20 19:44 by tomstp.

Date: 02/15/20 19:15
Author: funnelfan

The vasoline on the cap threads is a good idea. But for already stuck caps, I just use a cheap set of slip joint pliers to get them off;

https://resize.hswstatic.com/u_0/w_480/gif/pliers-1.jpg

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 02/15/20 20:39
Author: bearease

I was trying to use pliers exactly like that, but it wouldn't budge.
BUT... the hot water solution worked perfectly! They loosened to the point where I didn't even need the pliers.
I will definitely try the Vasoline or wax paper when I put things away for the night.
Thanks all for the great tips!

Date: 02/15/20 21:02
Author: railstiesballast

I have used bits of thin plastic "shopping bags" which seem to work well, but I think I'll try waxed paper next time.
Any sort of thin, slippery gasket keeps the cap and bottle appart.
These little gaskets make a handy way to do little touch-up jobs.
Just open the jar, take out the gasket, put it on the workbench, put on a new gasket and put the cap on.
Now you have a little pallette of paint to work from without dipping into the bottle.

Date: 02/16/20 07:17
Author: BAB

Its possible that using Vaseline on them could introduce oil into the paint causing problems. Just a thought.

Date: 02/16/20 08:18
Author: Frisco1522

I've had bottles of Scalecoat do that.  What I usually do is set them upside down and put a small amount of lacquer thinner between the edge of the cap and the bottle and let it work a while.  Always works for me.
I had some paint stored in a Paasche 3 oz. jar and the cap didn't want to budge.  I tried the old slip joint pliers trick and the jar broke and cut the hell out of my finger.  Don't do that any more.

Date: 02/17/20 10:29
Author: rlperkins

I always try a strap wrench first. If that doesn't work then I get the vice grip pliers. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds