Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Model Railroading > "Solo" op sessions for a while

Date: 03/28/20 08:40
"Solo" op sessions for a while
Author: bobdavis

The virus pandemic has put an end to official operating sessions on the PRR Blue Mountain Division for the time being, so I'm substituting monthly "solo" sessions, just me and the trains.  This can't compare to sessions with the regular guys but it does help keep me occupied.  I mostly just run the trains that have work to do, including the local freights, mainly to keep the car card/waybill cycle in order.  The picture shows the turn coming back from the two coal mines on the Oak Creek branch.  After a couple of times running the local freights, I have a much better appreciation of the crews who handle these jobs during regular sessions.  They've figured out the various moves a lot better than I have!

Bob
Thayne, WY 

Date: 03/28/20 08:47
Re: "Solo" op sessions for a while
Author: pilotblue

Nice scene Bob! You are doing exactly what you're supposed to do dealing with this situation. I recently posted a few pics of the N scale fire station I had just finished. I had challenged everyone to go down to the basement/trainroom, pick out a kit they've had for a while and get to work and post pics. Question: How does a guy in Wyoming get interested in modeling the PRR? Transplant? Military/Govt ?

Thanks for posting!

Date: 03/28/20 08:56

I lived in the east for my first 59 years and worked 31 years for Penn Central and Conrail.  Before that I had a summer job with the PRR in 1963.  I had two smaller HO PRR layouts durigng those days, so dcided to keep that idea going out here.  A side benefit to that is if I model something that's not exactly "right" for the PRR, as one of our regular operators once told me, "Bob, it's Wyoming.  Who out here would ever know the diffrence!

Bob

Date: 03/28/20 09:29
Author: pilotblue

So your crew "might" pick up on that PRR GTEL unit that Con-cor did years ago? (Actually, those units would have looked great in Tuscan 5-stripe, LOL)

Date: 03/28/20 12:08

A ConCor PRR GTEL?  That might be too far out in left field for even our local crew, but they've been on me a couple of times about buying a couple of Centipedes - "they'd look good in helper service" or a T1 Duplex 4-4-4-4 - "that would be nice for your passenger train".  So far I"ve resisted that temptation!

Bob

Date: 03/28/20 12:13
Author: 1019X

I knew a fellow in Virginia  that modeled the CP. in the 60s. He had made a rail fan trip across Canada and liked what he saw. He had the same idea, nobody in Virginia would know the difference if his CP modeling wasn't perfect. 

Date: 03/28/20 15:54
Author: MojaveBill

This hobby is what each of us want to make it, which is its biggest attraction!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 03/28/20 20:09
Author: RioGrandeFan

Hi Bob,

Great layout there and glad to see that people can operate their layouts solo. It is exactly what I am working towards myself. Just gotta get it built...

Anyway I wanted to say I recently picked up your Rio Grande book and it is fantastic! I highly recommend for anyone interested in the Rio Grande. 

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds