Home Open Account Help 215 users online

Model Railroading > Time to start scenery, too flat for me.Suggestions welcome please

Date: 04/03/20 18:20
Time to start scenery, too flat for me.Suggestions welcome please
Author: robert162

Dear TOs,  I have come to the point of adding scenery, what would you do/use to give the flat areas a little help other than FLAT. Pink foam would be to this (1"-2") . Not sure what to use "joint compound" (got plenty of that). ?  thanks for your input.  Robert

Date: 04/03/20 21:26
Re: Time to start scenery, too flat for me.Suggestions welcome pl
Author: up833

Well, jphoto #1 with the tower and passenger shed looks to be city scape, more or less.  You could have a low bank "cut: up to the form marks in the concrete and cityscape along the top of the bank.
#2 looks like a potential industrial area with big buildings along the wall and then green hills in the far background.
Just a couple of first thoughts. Nice layout!
RB

Date: 04/04/20 05:54
Author: march_hare

I would put an interlocking tower in the space inside the wye. Add a couple of shacks, maybe a converted boxcar on timbers, some parked MofW equipment. Lots of weeds and underbrush around the edges, that would be a super detailed scene. 

Date: 04/04/20 05:56
Author: march_hare

Also, remember that foam insulation is also available in quarter inch thickness. It comes in a fan-fold stack from the big box Home improvement stores. It’s much easier to make subtle, not-quite-flat ground surfaces with the thin sheets. 

Date: 04/04/20 16:35
Author: gnguy

Do a hill starting from where the white tank is above the wye and about 6  or 7" high.  Have it come out to the point of the wye on the right of the photo.  Use a tunnel for the track that parallels the exposed 2x3 and use steep cuts down both sides of the hill down to the two wye tracks.  I'd make the end point at the right side at least 5 or 6" tall cliff.
Mike Stewart
Oakley, CA

Date: 04/04/20 18:27
Author: up833

If you followed up on gnguys suggestion then I would suggest the remains of that hill be stuffed into that quarter moon shaped space on the edge of the layout. So the three track mains would be in a cut. Just looking for ways to break up the straight edges of the layout.
RB

Date: 04/05/20 16:23
Author: gnguy

Here is a 3d paint image of what I was suggesting
Mike Stewart

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds