Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Model Railroading > Here is a work of art in 1.5" scale

Date: 04/07/20 08:21
Here is a work of art in 1.5" scale
Author: tomstp

A friend of mine Phillip Bell decided to build a 1.5" scale Texas & Pacific "muley" caboose.  He sent me a photo of the non painted model and asked what I thought of it..  I sent him some pictures of them and he admitted he needed to change some things, did that, and sent me another photo.  I pointed out errors and he went to work again.  Some more pictures arrived and said "OK what do you think of it now"?  I pointed out that he had left off the screen doors and told him there were 2 color options, interior green or yellow for them.  So again, he went to work and sent more pictures wanting my opinion.  I told him it looked fine, and asked if he wanted interior information.   His reply was "NO MORE EMAILS". I got a big laugh out of that.

It wasn't long before he had a Live Steam meet and I took my engine to it.  Somehow I managed to keep pulling that caboose all weekend. Have to admit I am jealous as hell.

Date: 04/07/20 08:33
Re: Here is a work of art in 1.5" scale
Author: boejoe

This looks like a great candidate for A M B Laser to reproduce in HO as a kit.  Well done.  Great job.

Date: 04/07/20 08:53
Author: BAB

Very nice job on it in larger scales like this detail can become a problem as every little thing can be easily seeen. Have a friend who does 2.5" narrow gauge and built several cars that are at a musium in Colorado exatly like the full scale each of which are diffrent. 

Date: 04/07/20 09:03
Author: Westbound

End platforms are too shallow and handrails too low on the model. And then I saw the real thing! 
Not too practical.

Date: 04/07/20 09:48
Author: santafedan

Out standing!

Date: 04/07/20 09:56
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I towed it around his track last year after my Cotton Belt caboose had a truck malfunction.

It truly is a work of art.

Date: 04/07/20 12:20
Author: atsf121

Amazing work! Beats my HO modeling efforts.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/07/20 12:59
Author: santafedan

Sometimes it is easier in 1/8th scale.  I model both.  1/8th is much heavier 8+)

atsf121 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amazing work! Beats my HO modeling efforts.
>
> Nathan
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/07/20 14:22
Author: DKay

That is beautiful work.Are the marker lamps commercially  available ,or hand made.
Regards,DK

Date: 04/07/20 15:08

Commercial.

Date: 04/07/20 15:13

Don't have  a picture of it, but, Harry Bean built a Southern Pacific C-30   1.5" caboose that was very nice.  It had a complete interior Harry built in it from pictures of the real thing.  Truly was nice. Only one problem,  Hard to see the interior through the  small   1.5" scale windows.  He would occasionally take the roof off for people to see the interior.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/20 15:15 by tomstp.

Date: 04/08/20 06:15
Author: BAB

DKay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is beautiful work.Are the marker lamps
> commercially  available ,or hand made.
> Regards,DK

And they are avalible, or were RTR, got the kit insteand, sent it back got the RTR model.  Screws are smaller than most used in HO scale would have to dig mine out but think that some parts work on it also. Have another one that is quite old it even has a wood grip on the bail dont know who made it but the fellow who I bought it from was a retired machiest.

Date: 04/08/20 11:30

DKAY:  The caboose markers were made by BryteRails and are made from sheet brass and soldered together.  .  

Her are 4 pictures:  First one shows one of them after putting the lens in, LED installed., 2nd is the LED installed.. Third is the bottom of the marker with the wires for the LED sticking out.

I had to drill the hole in the bottom base a little larger than it was to accept the wiring with the resistor in it with all that covered with shrink tubing and a miniature connector as well.  The female conductor is installed in the caboose on each side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/20 11:38 by tomstp.

Date: 04/08/20 11:35

#4 shows the completed marker.  All I had to do was install the lights (include GE silicone to glue the correct height of the LED), and lenses and paint it.

In the beginning these cost only about $40 a pair but as time went by they got higher.  Now $125.   The 11 mm super bright LEDs really show up well at night .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/20 11:39 by tomstp.

Date: 04/10/20 16:56
Author: DKay

Thanks for the info Folkes.
Regards,DK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds