Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Model Railroading > Flat finish ... again ...

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/07/20 18:04
Flat finish ... again ...
Author: Jeff_Johnston

I miss Dullcote. For years I used it thinned 50/50 with lacquer thinner and it was so easy and consistent as a final finish over acrylic paint, solvent based paint, plastic, wood, whatever.

I've tried Model Flex flat fnish, Tru-Color flat, Microscale Micro Flat and haven't much liked the results. I still need to try Tamia flat and Scalecoat 2 flat, when I'm able to find someone still working and selling things online during these trying times. I'm about to dip some clear flat from a quart of Varathane and (suitably thinned as needed) run it through the airbrush but I don't have a lot of hope for that one.

What's the current go-to for consistent, reliable airbrushing flat finish these days? I do not want to use a rattle can.

If you have a brand that works, also please tell if it's thinned with something.

I did my due diligence search here, found nothing, maybe I'm not using the right search words ...

Thank you for any input along these lines.

Jeff Johnston
trainvideosandparts.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/20 19:40 by Jeff_Johnston.

Date: 04/07/20 18:14
Re: Flat finish ... again ...
Author: tehachapi-dave

I use Tamiya Flat Clear with good results.  Only problem with it is the small bottle size!

Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.  

Date: 04/07/20 20:24
Author: jburek

Dullcoat is still available.  Why did you stop using it?

Date: 04/07/20 21:05
Author: PHall

jburek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dullcoat is still available.  Why did you stop
> using it?

I think you can only get it in a rattle can and prefers to use his airbrush to apply it.

Date: 04/07/20 21:18
Author: trackplanner

Availabilty probably depends on where you live and where you look. Surprisingly, I still buy both here in SoCal.

Date: 04/07/20 21:22
Author: KA7008

Do an internet search for:
dullcote 1-3/4 oz

You'll find small bottles still available.

Date: 04/07/20 22:52

Thank you guys! I had understood the bottle type was off the market, with just the rattle cans remaining. Never quite understood why that was, but there's a lot I don't understand. I'll check my LHS and see if it's still on the shelf there ... although it's a drive-up window handover these days, no customer shelf browsing.

Thanks!

Jeff

Date: 04/08/20 04:40
Author: Arved

Available on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3aWEIga

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 04/08/20 05:44
Author: wictl

Dullcote in the bottle is still available.  I belive the part number changed.  I am still using it as it is my go to flat finish.  When my LHS is out of stock, I venture over my Hobby Lobby as they also carry it.

Darin Umlauft
A WC, SOO and GBW fan in Slinger, WI

Date: 04/08/20 05:52
Author: Frisco1522

Wow, it has gone up in price.   Sometimes I mix Dullcote and Glosscote to get what I want.   Having said that, I bought a can of Deft Satin Lacquer and it leaves a great finish to seal decals, etc.  Then weather over it.

Date: 04/08/20 06:20
Author: brfriedm

I was a dullcote customer for years. 75% of the time it did its job but there was always a scenario where it did not dry completely clear and that could be based on temperature or humidity of the enviornment you are spraying in. After Dullcote went away I searched for a replacement. I had read that Military Modelers were using Vallejo paints with great success and they had a flat product that was very good. I ordered some and the rest is history. This product is 100% idiot proof and dries to a clear in all conditions and works great. You can brush it or airbrush it and it does not need to be thinned to airbrush. When Floquil went away, Micromark had Vallejo make them custom batches of Vallejo paints to match the most popular Floquil colors. Which was Rail Brown, Grimy Black, RR Tie Brown, Reefer White, Rust, Clear Flat, Aged Concrete, Engine Black, Roof Brown and Roof Red.

I bought many of these colors and use them all the time. I use the RR Tie Brown to airbrush track.

Comes in 2 oz airbrush ready bottles for $7.95 and cheaper when they runs sales which they do all the time.

Get off the Dullcote wagon and use this. You will not be sorry. There are also more Floquil matching colors in 1 oz sizes also and the best part, this cleans up with tap water.

Bruce 

[size=120]https://www.micromark.com/Microlux-Acrylic-Paint-2-Oz-_2[/size]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/20 06:28 by brfriedm.

Date: 04/08/20 06:56
Author: jburek

I bought some at Michaels craft stores and they had several bottles.  You can probably find it on E-bay.  I've been using the stuff for years.  I've also heard good things about Rapido's Proto Paint dulling finish called Flat Haze though I remember reading that this was more of a weathering finish which also dulls.  Haven't tried it yet - it's hard to find.  Good Luck.

Date: 04/08/20 08:10
Author: mcdeo

+1 for Frisco1522. Deft lacquer Satin use only lacquer thinner at a 2 to 3 parts parts thinner 1 part satin ratio. Practice on a clear practice spoon to see your results. 

That is from some of the more professional painters I've been able to ask advice lately. Works really well. I'll get some pics when I can run down to the basement later today. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 04/08/20 09:37
Author: Lighter

> This product is 100% idiot proof
> and dries to a clear in all conditions and works
> great.

Vallejo Mecha Matt Varnish is available in 200 ml bottles from Amazon for $14.66. Smaller bottles also, but if you are on prime the shopping on the smaller sizes makes the 200 ml the best choice. Can spray without thinning depending on your airbrush nozzle size.

Another from Amazon that I use is Americana DuraClear ultra matte finish. Dead flat polyurethane matte varnish. Also, water clean up. It needs a bit of airbrush medium for spraying.

Date: 04/08/20 10:45

Thanks for the tip. Damn thats cheap. I will order some when I need it again. I have a pretty good stock.  Bruce

Lighter Wrote:
> > This product is 100% idiot proof
> > and dries to a clear in all conditions and
> works
> > great.
>
> Vallejo Mecha Matt Varnish is available in 200 ml
> bottles from Amazon for $14.66. Smaller bottles
> also, but if you are on prime the shopping on the
> smaller sizes makes the 200 ml the best choice.
> Can spray without thinning depending on your
> airbrush nozzle size.
>
> Another from Amazon that I use is Americana
> DuraClear ultra matte finish. Dead flat
> polyurethane matte varnish. Also, water clean up.
> It needs a bit of airbrush medium for spraying.

Date: 04/08/20 15:33

Bruce:

" I had read that Military Modelers were using Vallejo paints with great success and they had a flat product that was very good. I ordered some and the rest is history. This product is 100% idiot proof and dries to a clear in all conditions and works great. You can brush it or airbrush it and it does not need to be thinned to airbrush."

Hi, can you tell us, specifically, which line of Vallejo paints you use, especially the clear flat finish? Their website lists a bunch of different types of paints for various purposes and so far I haven't found any clear flat. Your product description is intriguing.

Thanks!
Jeff Johnston

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/20 15:40 by Jeff_Johnston.

Date: 04/08/20 17:01
Author: PHall

Military modelers are way, way ahead of model railroaders in the paint and finish department.

Date: 04/09/20 04:56

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/producto/hobby/auxiliaries-model/matt-varnish-70520/

Jeff_Johnston Wrote:
> Bruce:
>
> " I had read that Military Modelers were using
> Vallejo paints with great success and they had a
> flat product that was very good. I ordered some
> and the rest is history. This product is 100%
> idiot proof and dries to a clear in all conditions
> and works great. You can brush it or airbrush it
> and it does not need to be thinned to airbrush."
>
> Hi, can you tell us, specifically, which line of
> Vallejo paints you use, especially the clear flat
> finish? Their website lists a bunch of different
> types of paints for various purposes and so far I
> haven't found any clear flat. Your product
> description is intriguing.
>
> Thanks!
> Jeff Johnston

Date: 04/09/20 07:24
Author: nydepot

Date: 04/09/20 08:44
Author: sixaxlecentury

I went to this and have not looked back.  https://www.michtoy.com/item-VMS-AX05S-Varnish_HD___Satin_Type_50ml.html

They also have Gloss and Semi.   Sprays right out of the bottle, no thinning.   Once again, the Military guys have us beat in so many ways.  

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0887 seconds