Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Model Railroading > Despite my best efforts to fail...

Date: 05/14/20 17:05
Despite my best efforts to fail...
Author: fritzrr

I have posted this on a few Chessie modeler and RPM facebook sites, thought I would share here. Painting my first Chessie locomotive, a torpedo boat GP9. Used a Proto geep, poly scale paint and Steel Valley decals. Things were going great, paint went on fine, decals worked very nicely. I was actually thinking "Wow, this is to easy when am I going toscrew it up?" Well, it did not take long! First coat of clear gloss went fine. Warmed the spray can up for the second coat, forgot it, Warmed it a second time, forgot it. Third time, yup forgot it. Got on the phone with a co worked, thought "nows a good time".
As I sprayed the long hood section it tokk me 10-15 seconds..."wait, whats happening?!?"

I had picked up a can of flat white, NOT gloss clear! Hang up the phone, drop it into my tub of 91% alcohol, start scrubbing...
IF the decals had not started peeling off, I MIGHT have been able to save it. But they did, so stripped it, repainted it, redecaled it and came out great.

I still had to try and mess it up. As I was flat clear coating the entire body, I managed to fling it off the paper towel center I was using as a holder and it hit the floor! Somehow no damage, just knocked the cab loose. Anyway, heres the pics:

First:round one, painted and decaled
Second: after the gloss coat, I mean flat white, then into the 91% alcohol. It was worse than the picture
Third: almost finished 

Fritz in MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/20 17:08 by fritzrr.

Date: 05/14/20 17:08
Re: Despite my best efforts to fail...

Some additional photos. Third shot is a zoom, not best quality but I like the feel.

Fritz in MD

Date: 05/14/20 17:52
Author: SantaFeRuss

Nice!

SantaFeRuss

Date: 05/14/20 18:18
Author: Bob3985

Give yourself more credit for a fine model.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/14/20 18:34
Author: jburek

Great recovery. If I had picked up the flat white and ruined a solid paint scheme Iwould have cried real tears.  I know all the work and effort that goes into,painting, decaling, and weathering - to have to do it all over again would have been tough going, but you recovered and came through it -well done!
Jeff

Date: 05/14/20 19:37
Author: boejoe

Unusual looking B&O type coach behind the Geep.  Kitbashed AHM/Rivarossi car? 

Date: 05/14/20 21:32
Author: tehachapifan

Nice recovery and final result! Had a similar experience recently but not with a MRR piece. Wife asked me to make a pirate's treasure chest for her classroom. Put a nice coat of stain on it and wanted to do a final coat of clear over it with a rattle can to finish it off. Started to spray it only to discover (not nearly soon enough) that it was white paint. I then looked at the cans of clear and white side by side and they were virtually indistinguishable form on another. That white really adhered too! Took a long time to sand off and I never really did get it all off.

Date: 05/15/20 01:21
Author: Rmosele

I really like your river feature. It looks very realistic.

Date: 05/15/20 05:38

Yes, they are kitbashed Rivarossi/AHM cars. I used window sections from their streamlined cars inserted in heavyweight bodies. My goal was to come close to some of the cars leased by RRP, Inc to the Maryland DOT for baltimore/Washingtom commuter service in the late 70's.

Fritz in MD

Date: 05/15/20 06:21
Author: NS8552

Another plus, the shot of adrenalin you got probably cleared out 10 years worth of cholesterol!

Stay safe,
Ken

Date: 05/15/20 08:19
Author: railstiesballast

Even model railroading has "war stories".
Maybe all the readers of this post have learned something, thanks for sharing.

Date: 05/15/20 09:43
Author: spsunset

After the white paint and it hitting the floor I would have assumed it was suppose to be something else besides Chessie System.
So glad you prevailed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0751 seconds