Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Model Railroading > USPS Media Mail Very Slow

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 05/16/20 07:46
USPS Media Mail Very Slow
Author: wabash2800

I suppose as a result of the Corona Virus, media mail has gone on the back burner again. In the recent past I have been able to ship or receive any books within a week anywhere in the continental U.S. Now I have books sitting out there for two weeks or more. Yes, I do have tracking. That's how I know they are sitting on it from one distrubution facility to another. It doesn't matter if I recieve items from Ebay or Amazon. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/20 15:33 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/16/20 08:04
Re: USPS Media Mail Very Slow
Author: 2-10-2

I did a Media Mail book about 10 days ago from SoCal to far northern Cal. Less than a week, which I'd consider about average.

Date: 05/16/20 08:06
Author: railstiesballast

Not Media Mail, but I have been surprised at how quickly some things arrive via USPS at least through last week.

Date: 05/16/20 08:18
Author: cabman

Have no experience with media mail, but USPS package delivery is wonderful.  Ordered some dog supplies from a firm in Florida Wednesday and had them by Friday in  Iowa.  These days the mail delivery trucks are completely loaded with boxes thanks to Amazon, etc.

Date: 05/16/20 09:09
Author: Curt

Consider yourself fortunate that you weren't ordering something from another country.  I ordered a train dvd online 3/31 from an Australian retailer that I've always had great experiences with.  It apparently shipped 4/1, and I still haven't received it.  In the past, it's always taken 10-14 days to receive.  I've been in conversations with the retailer, and they informed me that they've spoken with the postal service, who acknowledged that there is a huge back-up of international shipments. I continue to try to be patient...   :(

Date: 05/16/20 09:33
Author: wjpyper

Book ordered from Amazon shipped April 9th from NC. Arrived Lacey, WA April 29th.

Date: 05/16/20 09:34
Author: PHall

With the halt of all international airline traffic to and from Australia there is no way to move mail and parcels.

Date: 05/16/20 09:49
Author: ntharalson

Since media mail is at the bottom of the rate structure in the Post Office, this is not too surprising.  Keep monitoring it, it may just be a local issue.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 05/16/20 10:05
Author: SPDRGWfan

I think US mail in general is a bit slower than normal. I've had bills I send out be later normal, or barely on-time when normally they arrive in plenty of time for the due date.  I've started sending bills out a extra day or two earlier than before Corona.  I've had a several days scattered over a few weeks when I put a bill out in the mailbox early and it was never picked up by late afternoon as well.

Some of my mail or parcels to come quickly too, so it's a bit spotty. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/20 11:03 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 05/16/20 10:06
Author: tunnel88

I have a mixed experience with all the major players in both personal and commercial with mixed package sizes.

USPS some fantastic delivery times, some extremely slow.
UPS most on time but some with a day late commercial
Fedex on time personal, a day late with commercial
DHL late

In general i'm impressed with service with the odd situation but there have been some shipments that were annoyingly long for the distance they traveled.

Date: 05/16/20 10:35
Author: BruceStikkers

I like in east central Illinois about 125 miles south of Chicago. When I order from Kalmbach in Milwaukee shipments by media mail go from Milwaukee to Des Moines, to St. Louis and then up here. This can be very slow due to their crazy routing. A UPS shipment would be next day with regular shipping.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Jpseph, IL

Date: 05/16/20 10:47
Author: jdw3460

The USPS slowdown is not just media mail.  It's the same with priority mail.  I ordered some model railroad parts from Oregon.  After several days, it made it to Kent, WA.  Wrong direction, but I though perhaps it was catching a plane there.  Apparently not, a week later.  It must have just been another mule, headed east, I hope.

Date: 05/16/20 10:53
Author: DevalDragon

It's not just you. I ordered a book from Dallas to be sent to Chicago being sent Media Mail. It was ordered on May 2, the last update from the USPS is
"May 8, 2020 12:00am In Transit to Next Facility" with an estimated Delivery Date of May 11. That's come and gone with no other information.

Meanwhile other items I've ordered off E-Bay being shipping via the USPS are being delivered in a reasonable amount of time, including 3 day service from Dallas to Chicago.

Media mail is really slow right now.

Date: 05/16/20 11:40
Author: JETRR

Certain USPS hubs, St. Louis in particular based on my expeience lately, seem to be having shipment delay issues. 

Date: 05/16/20 11:43

That's what mine are doing too. I have two items (one from east coast, one from west coast)  that have been bumped btw three major regional distribuiton centers, changing directions each time. Maybe it's a "get it out of here, we don't want it!"

Victor A. Baird

BruceStikkers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like in east central Illinois about 125 miles
> south of Chicago. When I order from Kalmbach in
> Milwaukee shipments by media mail go from
> Milwaukee to Des Moines, to St. Louis and then up
> here. This can be very slow due to their crazy
> routing. A UPS shipment would be next day with
> regular shipping.
>
> Bruce Stikkers
> St. Jpseph, IL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/20 12:03 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/16/20 12:26
Author: TAW

wabash2800 Wrote:
> I suppose as a result of the Corona Virus, media
> mail has gone on the back burner again.

Even priority mail has thaqt poroblem. I had a book via priority mail sit for over a week waiting for a trip to Europe.

TAW

Date: 05/16/20 13:42
Author: ST214

I am a mailman. Our system is overloaded with parcels, causing delays. 

Date: 05/16/20 14:06
Author: tramfan

TAW Wrote:
> wabash2800 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I suppose as a result of the Corona Virus,
> media
> > mail has gone on the back burner again.
>
> Even priority mail has thaqt poroblem. I had a
> book via priority mail sit for over a week waiting
> for a trip to Europe.
>
> TAW

Going overseas to another country you maybe need to factor in the Customs inspection on parcels.

Date: 05/16/20 14:17
Author: tramfan

ST214 Wrote:
> I am a mailman. Our system is overloaded with
> parcels, causing delays. 

I commend you and all of your colleagues on a hard job made harder during the pandemic. We leave our packages on the porch until the next day to limit our exposure. 

Date: 05/16/20 14:23

You can't do that here or they get stolen! We have video footage of folks in my neighborhood walking off with packages... This phenomenon is all over the U.S. now. I have a neighbor watch and secure the package when expecting something, if I can't have it sent to my business P.O. Box.

Victor A. Baird

tramfan Wrote:
-
>
> I commend you and all of your colleagues on a hard
> job made harder during the pandemic. We leave our
> packages on the porch until the next day to limit
> our exposure. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/20 14:29 by wabash2800.

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1003 seconds