Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Model Railroading > My Train wreck Union Pacific Power Car 2066

Date: 05/17/20 13:55
My Train wreck Union Pacific Power Car 2066
Author: bnsfmodeler

I do not recommended this car as it is wrong in so many ways, from the size and details I bought it because some one asked me if I could make one for him but when I told him the price he ran. Rule ONE I do not work for free. Every thing went wrong especially painting it paint does not stick well to 3D models I am hoping some one makes a resin car. but being out of work I thought I would just finish it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/20 13:58 by bnsfmodeler.

Date: 05/17/20 13:56
Re: My Train wreck Union Pacific Power Car 2066

Still have to weather

Date: 05/17/20 16:49
Author: BNModeler

Nice job but boy is it ugly!!
Did you try some Bestine on the car before you painted it?

Date: 05/17/20 18:14

No I did not know about that, and the guy that sells these is really rude and is no help

Date: 05/17/20 18:50
Author: PHall

Bestine or any other good degreaser type cleaner will clean resin and 3 D printed parts.
There's a mold release agent on the parts that prevents good paint adheision.
A good cleaning should fix the problem.
It's been my experience so far that the procedures and techniques that you use on resin parts work for the 3 D printed one's too.

Date: 05/17/20 21:55
Author: jcaestecker

That thing is about as good looking as the cab cars on the Cascades.  Sorry you had to build it for someone.

-John

Date: 05/18/20 07:43
Author: BAB

I use dupont prepsol on any thing I paint just got done with a large scale, 1/14 semi trailer that was printed gave up trying to make a decent model out of it. Had to fill it everywhere using glazing putty then  rattle can auto primer still was not smooth enough. Never will buy anything printed unless I can see it in person.

Date: 05/20/20 09:13
Author: UP49er2004

I'm sorry that I apparently came off rude to you, I can't seem to find any messages in Shapeways that I didn't answer the questions asked by the people who asked them.

I provided links to the build article, my Facebook pages, and my phone number in each conversation , if I missed your message because of shapeways horrible message platform I am sorry, or if we talked on a day when my ranch(22000 acres, 1500 head of cows and 125 horses) had my attention,that is my bad, no intention of being rude or unhelpful. I run 3 businesses.

This a scale up of an N Scale version, done by someone else, that I purchased for a rather large sum, to keep the model available to the public. I have built 55 of them so far. No they aren't 100% right. I make no money on the print and only 25 dollars if I build one.
I am sorry that they aren't up to your modeling standards.

They are currently in a redesign for a closer prototype representation. They will NOT be available on shapeways, and WILL be printed in resin. For this exact reason. Low quality print that is hard to paint, unless properly prepared.

Sincerely

Harry Marshall Haythorn UPHS 4043

Posted from Android

Date: 05/20/20 09:42
Author: JLW2K

If you're referring to Harry Haythorn, there's not a finer gentleman out there.  The models themselves are flawed from the start because of several challenges that are not Harry's fault.  However, I know many UP modelers that are happy to have a close enough version of this car as it has been part of nearly every UP Steam consist in the last several years.  Close enough is good enough for me and many others until a more accurate model comes along.  I doubt Harry was rude but perhaps there was some misconstrued communication as email lacks tone.

Date: 05/20/20 10:14
Author: UPkid

I've ask Harry countless questions about current passenger equipment owned by Union Pacific, and well as models. I've even purchased one of his UPP 2066, and it was nicely done. Harry has always awnsered all my questions, he is a very outstading indivual and always willing do his part to help. Keep up the good work Harry!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds