Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Model Railroading > Upgrading sound in sound equipped BLI steamers

Date: 05/27/20 22:42
Upgrading sound in sound equipped BLI steamers
Author: steam290

I have a nice little fleet of BLI 2-8-2s and 4-6-2s. The sound is ok, but I’m thinking about upgrading sound in one of them to see if I can do better. In particular, I’m not that happy with the whistle choices. Only 3 choices and they all sound, just ok... Any suggestions? Has anyone replaced the sound decoder in a BLI locomotive? I’m slightly nervous. I’ve never done this before and don’t want to screw up an otherwise good engine. Learning new skills is part of the hobby, though.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/28/20 07:58
Re: Upgrading sound in sound equipped BLI steamers
Author: BAB

Had mine replaced with Soundtraxx series 2 along with new speakers works great now.

Date: 05/28/20 09:02
Author: DRGWK59

I have replaced two of the three original BLI decoders with T-2 Soundtrax. The USRA Mike after the motor function in the decoder failed, the UP-style DRGW Challenger during a repair of bent axles; the only one left is the Consolidation which still appears to be working OK with it's original decoder!

Dave Ketchum
Cheyenne WY

Date: 05/28/20 15:18
Author: Gulliver-Stuart

I have two Reading T-1 4-8-4's where I replaced Paragon3 garbage with Econami's, a N&W A 2-6-6-4 which had QSI which I replaced with Tsunami2, a Blueline N&W A 2-6-6-2 which I installed a Tsunami, and three Alco RSD-15's, two with Tsunami, and one with LokSound Select.

Stuart

Date: 05/29/20 09:47

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! And I trust you guys had good results?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/29/20 10:47
Author: Lighter

> of bent axles;

How did you do that?

Date: 05/30/20 19:05
Author: DRGWK59

Actually I should have said "misshappen" axle on the # 3 drive axle! Appeared to have not been mfged properly and we decided to replace than try to repair. As a side note, that engine was a replacement unit. The original Challenger would run ok until it hit a rail joint, then go thru a "complete restart". Also happened at all the frogs on switches etc. I put the issue down to poor QC!  Haven't bought a BLI since that either!

David Ketchum
Cheyenne WY

Date: 05/31/20 08:36

I have at least 10 BLI locomotives and have never had such trouble.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds