Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Model Railroading > Older P2K Drive Gear Replacement for E-8

Date: 06/05/20 07:00
Older P2K Drive Gear Replacement for E-8
Author: THAT-L-DO

Refurbishing 2 older P2K E8s and want to replace the drive axle gears before reassembling everything.  Trying to contact North West Short Line via phone and email but am not getting a response (3 weeks now.)  as I felt they would offer the best quality replacements.  Would prefer to replace just the gears rather than the entire gear/axle/wheel set.  Any suggestions.

Thanks

THAT-L-DO

Date: 06/05/20 07:46
Re: Older P2K Drive Gear Replacement for E-8
Author: jburek

I don't have any P2K E8's & don't know if they use the same axle arrangement as their GP9-GP18 models.  I have several of these geeps and Athearn replacement wheel sets fit & solve the axle cracking issues with these early P2K models.

Date: 06/05/20 08:00
Author: Frisco1522

I have an Alco FA with the same problem.

Date: 06/05/20 08:21
Author: WM1977

You might check Walthers, I thought I saw that they were offering these types of replacements.

Date: 06/05/20 09:19
Author: SD608708

Athearn makes a gear that will work on the P2K drive. I'm not at home or I would give you the part number.

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 06/05/20 12:15

I have already purchased Athearn replacement wheelsets for an ABBA set of L&NE FA1's that I own.  The Athearn replacements usually solve the problem.  Make sure you get the 40  inch wheels - I believe that's what was on the E8's.

Date: 06/05/20 12:20
Author: PHall

jburek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have already purchased Athearn replacement
> wheelsets for an ABBA set of L&NE FA1's that I
> own.  The Athearn replacements usually solve the
> problem.  Make sure you get the 40  inch wheels
> - I believe that's what was on the E8's.

E8's have 36 inch wheels.

Date: 06/05/20 12:54

Yes that's correct 36 inch wheels - I think he is going to use the P2K wheels the unit came with along wih the Athearn replacement gears.  Thanks for the correction.
Jeff

Date: 06/05/20 13:24
Author: BlackWidow

I tried to purchase replace axles from Walthers for my P1K L&NE FAs, but they were out of stock.  Have to backorder them.

Date: 06/05/20 14:37

Don't get the P2K replacements for over time they will crack too - get the Athearn replacements they will not fail.

Date: 06/05/20 17:28
Author: E25

The Athearn gears don't work well with the Proto E units.  Some sources say that this is because the original Proto gears have 11 tooth sprockets, while the Athearn gears have 12.

I recently replaced gears on about twenty-plus Proto 4-axle units with the Athearn gears and they work great.

On the other hand, I used the same gears on a Proto 6-axle E unit and had poor results... noisy and noticeable "clicks."

Apparently the only present source of replacement gears for the 11-tooth gears is Wathers, and they only sell the entire wheel set, so the cost is much higher to do the replacements.

And, naturally, they are on 'backorder."  See: https://www.walthers.com/replacement-geared-diesel-wheelsets-fits-early-proto-2000-r-e6-7-8-9-pkg-3

BTW, the easiest method to mount the Athearn gears onto the proto axles is to use a pin vice or small modeler's vice.  If it doesn't have a built-in gap or hole for the end of the axle to fit into, just drill into each side of the "maw."  Works like a charm.

When pressing the gear onto the shaft ends using a vice, the two shafts usually don't compress together uniformly.  Since you need to leave a small gap between the gear shaft end and the wheel bearing so that the axle can still rotate in the bearing, watch the movement of the two axles coming together closely.  If one side appears to be getting too close to the bearing to allow for free movement, insert a small file or similar object that is about 3/16" wide and place it between the side of the gear and the wheel as you are closing the gap with the vice.  That will block that side from moving too close to its bearing and allow you to watch the gap on the opposite side close up against the other bearing until the correct gauge is obtained.  Both axle sides should then be loose enough to turn freely within their respective bearings.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/20 20:22 by E25.

Date: 06/06/20 03:43
Author: Nscaler

FYI, according to an e-mail I received from LifeLike a number of years ago it was the P1K four-axle units that suffered the split axle gear problem; the P2K models didn't.  If I can find the e-mail I'll post it.

Date: 06/06/20 07:28

Well my P2K models certainly did suffer from cracked gears - I'd like to see that e-mail myself.  Almost every P2K model I own has had the cracked gears!
Jeff

Date: 06/06/20 07:51
Author: kschmidt626

I just checked that link to the Walthers website you listed for the geared axles.  They are showing as being "in stock" now.  However the status is listed as "in transit".  Might try and order them see what happens.  

Keith

Keith Schmidt
Milwaukee, WI

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0574 seconds