Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Model Railroading > Keeping Busy During the Last Few Months

Date: 06/05/20 10:05
Keeping Busy During the Last Few Months
Author: tramfan

The last 2-1/2 months have allowed me to engage in "guilt-less" modeling in the house. Of course it also gave me more time to surf on that famous auction site as well. Besides doing some modeling, which I will get to, time was spent creating an inventory using Yard Office. I am about 3/4 of the way through with entering and over 300 pieces. What am I doing looking to buy more equipment??? Seriously, I have seen too many spouses be overwhelmed with collections after losing the modeler.

So during this time I have managed to complete 23 pieces of equipment. Some of these have been recent additions or on my shelves for 20+ years. I normally have about three pieces in various state of construction, or four identical cars in assemblyline fashion. With all of them either Kadee #58 or #158 couplers have been installed, metal wheelsets and trucks painted, weighted to NMRA-suggested weight or slightly more, COTS and ACI decals applied where appropriate, and a clear dull cote. I even kept my sanity and finished assembling a Front Range 63' Opera Centerbeam flat that has sat with one end and centerbeam glued together for ten years. I also finished four Eel River Beer Cars that go back a while.

The latest NMRA Magazine was my inspiration to complete a Single-Bay Airslide kit by Walthers that has sat shrink-wrapped over ten years. I bought it back then for $6.99. I painted out the Multi-Foods lettering, added Reboxx wheelsets, A-Line foot steps, Red Caboose cut levers, and Kadee #158 couplers. Then I weathered it using a combination of oil paint, acrylic paint, and Bragdon chalks. If I knew that it would turn out so nice, I would have replaced the ladder rungs with 0.010" plastic rod. Hope you enjoy! 

Date: 06/05/20 10:47
Re: Keeping Busy During the Last Few Months
Author: ironmtn

Beautiful model, and excellent job on the weathering. The weathering looks and has a feel of authenticity and subtlety, which not all weathering jobs do. I have been pondering weathering a small fleet of similar N-scale covered hoppers that I have. Your work gives me some good ideas about how to do it. Thanks much.

Date: 06/05/20 11:36
Author: tracktime

Beautifully done!! 

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 06/05/20 11:45
Author: icancmp193

Very nice!

TJY

Date: 06/05/20 11:59
Author: SPDRGWfan

Awsome!

Date: 06/06/20 14:56
Author: wabash2800

Even if it has molded grab irons and the roof walk is a bit chuncky, the weathering makes that not really noticable. It looks great.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/20 14:58 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds