Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Model Railroading > G-scale battery power: Any good-quality "ready-to-run" locos?

Date: 06/05/20 10:13
G-scale battery power: Any good-quality "ready-to-run" locos?
Author: robbie

Hello! I'm wondering if anyone might know of a good-quality G-scale battery-powered/RC locomotive that comes "ready to run?" I've seen this 25-ton switcher from Piko that seems to be what I'm looking for, but I'm surprised there don't seem to be any other locomotive options than this one. (There is some Chinese-made copy of an LGB engine, but it looks a bit cheap and is German prototype anyway...). Other than the Piko model, all I seem to find are battery/RC wiring kits to install in existing locomotives, or really cheap toys for Christmas or the like...

A bit of backtory for this question: IWith both Father's Day and my dad's birthday this month, I'm of course trying to figure out something nice. Back in 1994-95 when I still lived at home, we built a medium-to-large garden railroad, around 450' of track, a couple small yards, the ability to run several trains, the whole shebang. At the time, with two of us there and me a teenager and my dad 25 years younger, cleaning all the track and wheels and fixing electrical hiccups was no problem. Now I work a couple hours away and my dad is in his mid-70s, so going in the hot sun to clean track isn't quite as "fun." As a result, the layout has basically sat unused for a few years. I'm thinking that looking into battery pwoer might be a way to get something back running again. (We both aren't ready to attempt live-steam, as we're klutzes who would likely blow up the whole neighborhood!)

If a first battery locmotive seems good, I might venture into fiddling with our current locomotives and converting some -- though I'm wary of messing up too much, and I still use track power on the smaller garden railroad at my current home. I really thought that, by now, there'd be a pretty decent supply of ready-to-run battery-powered locomotives, but apparently not... Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Thanks in advance!
Robbie
Perrysburg, Ohio

Date: 06/05/20 19:55
Re: G-scale battery power: Any good-quality "ready-to-run" locos
Author: Dwalker999

I have converted a couple of LGB size locos to Radio Control and battery power. Works great!
I put the battery and reciever into the tender of an Aristocraft C16. For an LGB tank loco, I put the battery and 
receiever into a freight car, then ran wires to the engine. 
This should get you started. This is a good company to deal with: http://www.cvpusa.com/doc_center/r8_16_pg_2014_sales_catalog_web.pdf

Date: 06/06/20 06:41
Author: Fred

Might want to check out Don Sweet at RCS of NewEngland. Sells conversion kit for you to do it yourself or he will do it for you. Been dealing with him for almost 20 years. 

Date: 06/06/20 11:27
Author: BAB

Fred Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Might want to check out Don Sweet at RCS of
> NewEngland. Sells conversion kit for you to do it
> yourself or he will do it for you. Been dealing
> with him for almost 20 years. 

Rio Grande Southern Hobbies does conversiongs just contact Greg there great guy to work with. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds