Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn Genesis F unit question.

Date: 07/02/20 16:30
Athearn Genesis F unit question.
Author: Txtrainman60

I posted a thread yesterday about this time regarding Ho scale Santa Fe F units. While I found one at a hobby shop thats on order, I also found this red & silver on e-bay for a decent price. Here is my question: I thought Genesis models were suppose to have every detail part known to man since they are Athearn's top of the line models. If you look at the photo the seller included, you will notice NO detail on the pilot. No air-lines, coupling bars, etc. Is this just an OLDER version of a genesis model?

Date: 07/02/20 16:40
Re: Athearn Genesis F unit question.
Author: King_Coal

Some of those parts come in a baggie inside on my F3.

Date: 07/02/20 16:44
Author: drdiesel

This is an older Genesis model; it was announced by Athearn in 2005.  Over the years since the release of that F7, the Genesis lines have seen incremental improvements.  

Date: 07/02/20 16:54
Author: fbe

Locomotive models and specific locomotives evolve over time for the railroads which own them. Athearn's production may depend upon which group of photos they are working from.

Date: 07/02/20 17:39
Author: tomstp

You have to look closely at all the F A units to see what they have.  Some had the long hand holds over the windshields only.  Others had that, and side grab iorns.  Others had all that and lifting lugs on the front of the engine.  Others had MU cables.

I started making a list of the a few years ago by engine number and then i would not have to keep looking at each and every one.  Good thing to do. 

After I decided to not buy any I threw the list away.

Date: 07/02/20 17:52
Author: cabman

The color of the box is a dead giveaway that it's one of the early Genesis models albeit a very fine running one.  It won't hurt to add a few details of your own if the price is good, will it?

Date: 07/02/20 18:06
Author: RSD5

I bought a " Proto 2000"  Delaware & Hudson  PA off ebay a few years ago.  When it arrived, it was an Athearn "Blue Box" model stuck inside a proto box.  And, I paid good money for it.   Well, that was a month of back n forth with the seller and finally I reported them to ebay and got my money back.   Be careful or you will get some shady stuff from some sellers.

Dave

Date: 07/02/20 18:13
Author: tracktime

This is just an early 1st release Genesis F7A for Santa Fe, based on the groundbreaking Highliners F-unit shell that is still the gold standard of accuracy in nose profile and overall basic dimensional accuracy and bodyshell detail, and an all-new drivetrain. As others have said, Genesis locomotives have steadily improved since this with additional road-specific details and the introduction of DCC and sound capabilities with subsequent releases.

Date: 07/02/20 18:47
Author: tramfan

Speaking of original Athearn Genesis F units (and some other models by Athearn Genesis), they use the original DCC Sound Decoders by MRC. Also included was a fob that could be used for controlling sounds. These decoders were less than stellar in performance which means that non-sound models are preferred..

Date: 07/03/20 17:44
Author: nikon1

Txtrainman60 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I posted a thread yesterday about this time
> regarding Ho scale Santa Fe F units. While I found
> one at a hobby shop thats on order, I also found
> this red & silver on e-bay for a decent price.
> Here is my question: I thought Genesis models were
> suppose to have every detail part known to man
> since they are Athearn's top of the line models.
> If you look at the photo the seller included, you
> will notice NO detail on the pilot. No air-lines,
> coupling bars, etc. Is this just an OLDER version
> of a genesis model?

This unit is modeled in its as de!ivered scheme. All that is needed on the pilot is the uncoupling bar and is the brake line hose. MU hoses, and modified skirting didn't appear until the late 50s-early 60s. So, this unit is correct in its current state.
Cheers
Charlie

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds