Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Model Railroading > Straightening Stockrail on Atlas C83 #4 Turnouts

Date: 07/29/20 16:41
Straightening Stockrail on Atlas C83 #4 Turnouts
Author: D0wnt1me

Hello everyone,

This week I picked up all of my Atlas Code 83 #4 turnouts from my LHS. Today I sat down and took a good look at them. I held one out straight and when I squinted, I immediatly noticed that the stock rail on the straight path was bent. Sure enough, all of them were like this. 

I did a bit of research and this appears to be a common thing with Atlas's #4s. 

Whats the best way to fix this? The instructions I found online weren't exactly clear - I'm not sure where/what I need to cut.

TIA
-Dean

Date: 07/29/20 17:14
Re: Straightening Stockrail on Atlas C83 #4 Turnouts
Author: SPDRGWfan

I don't have any #4 Atlas turnouts but I do have Atlas #6 code 83. I've been able to pull the bend out when I laid them using Atlas track nails. I don't use adhesives and that is one advantage. Nails and spikes can be used to pull the bend out to straight. I've done it on may last layout.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/29/20 19:16
Author: nwsd45

I have several of these and I used track nails to straighten mine also. I drove the nails on the opposite side of the stock rail and tapped the nail sideways until it was straight. Might require more than one nail to get it straight through the length of the switch.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/20 19:17 by nwsd45.

Date: 07/29/20 19:55
Author: railstiesballast

If you make a saw cut (or a few cuts) in the tie base under one rail between the ties, then it is easier to force the rails into alignment.
Makes a bit of it :flex track".

Date: 07/30/20 04:09
Author: SPDRGWfan

Cutting the webbing in the ties may help for those who use adhesives.  I nailed both ends down with Atlas track nails and then used a nail or spike to push the part over that needed straightening.  I have a packet of MicroEngineering spikes I can put down along side ties or rail as well, to tweek track one way or another to get the alignment I want.  That's one advantage of using Homasote in yards vs. foam, track nails or spikes can be used as needed to attach and tweak track.  Very handy.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 07/30/20 07:33
Author: D0wnt1me

Thank you all for the replies, it sounds like track nails are my best bet.

-Dean

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4999 seconds