Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Model Railroading > Suggestions for scale sand???

Date: 07/30/20 07:53
Suggestions for scale sand???
Author: binder001

I'm going to add an HO scale concrete batch plant to my layout and I am interested in what other people use for HO sand or aggregate.  Looking for suggestions, and Thanks in advance.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 07/30/20 08:47
Re: Suggestions for scale sand???
Author: OHCR1551

If you have a Dollar Tree near you, check their floral department and/or the kids' craft area. DT often has very fine sand in more or less natural colors as well as black sand and very small gravel that make decent O-scale coal.

Should you want white sand, baking soda will do without attracting bugs. I've seen people manage to tint it, but haven't had the luck myself. Odd as it sounds, powdered ginger is about the right color and most critters dislike it intensely. 

There is such a thing billed as sand texture paint. The particles are too big and widely spaced for most model work. If your heart is set on sand that matches your area, you can do worse than collect a few cups from a stream bank, dry it thoroughly, and sift it through a piece of window screen or other fine mesh filter. 

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 07/30/20 09:28
Author: SPDRGWfan

There is also Sanded Grout, they have it in a variety of colors at Lows.  I used that as a textured base for desert scenry on my last layout.

Date: 07/30/20 12:17
Author: navarch2

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is also Sanded Grout, they have it in a
> variety of colors at Lows.  I used that as a
> textured base for desert scenry on my last layout.

That is what I use. Comes in many colors.

Bob

Date: 07/30/20 12:30
Author: BlackWidow

I have taken regular playbox sand and run it through a fine strainer.  I like the results of doing that.

Date: 07/30/20 14:44
Author: tomstp

You can use chalk colors to help color your sand.

Date: 07/30/20 16:13
Author: trainman

I use actual sand for use in locomotives !!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0273 seconds