Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Model Railroading > N scale skyline casing

Date: 07/30/20 23:39
N scale skyline casing
Author: bearease

Has anyone ever built a skyline casing for their N scale Mountains?
I've just picked up a Bachmann heavy Mountain and I'm thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a skyline casing to give it that SP 4300 look. But I'm not sure I have the scratch-building skills to pull it off - or at least without a bit of trial & error.
I know there are other elements of that loco that would need to be addressed to further SP-ize it, but if I can get a good overall look, i wouldn't be too concerned about the tiny stuff.
Anyway, any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be welcome.
Thanks,

--Barry

Date: 07/31/20 10:33
Re: N scale skyline casing
Author: PHall

Remove the domes and make the skyline casing a solid one piece unit. Could be a good resin casting project.

Date: 07/31/20 15:31
Author: MojaveBill

You can also use styrene sheet. Worked for me.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/31/20 15:52
Author: bearease

Yea, I was thinking of the styrene sheet.
The rounded edges along the top would be an issue though.
Maybe make an elongated "box" then sand the edge to a curve? I was also thinking of maybe using styrene tubing to create the rounded edges, then the sheet to add the walls.
Of couse, another inportant piece to the puzzle, is finding a decent overhead shot of the casing so I can see the openings for the sand dome, whistle, etc. Also the sheet metal work around the stack is unique. Were the 4300's built the same as the GS Northerns? I could always model it after my 4449.

Thanks again for the input.

--Barry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds