Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Model Railroading > Display Cabinet

Date: 08/01/20 09:33
Display Cabinet
Author: SD608708

Looking for a display cabinet that would hold between 40-50 HO engines. If you know some one that has or builds these please let me know.

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 08/01/20 09:46
Re: Display Cabinet
Author: MojaveBill

Any good cabinet-maker should be able to do that. Just show them what you want.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/01/20 10:14
Author: fbe

If you think you want room for 40-50 build it for 70-80. The models will display better if there is space between them instead of being tightly packed together. Inevitably more models will show up over time or you can rotate the models on display.

Date: 08/01/20 10:52
Author: hartrick24

SD608708 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking for a display cabinet that would hold
> between 40-50 HO engines. If you know some one
> that has or builds these please let me know.

Great idea Paul, please share the info when you find someone...

Steve H...

Date: 08/01/20 11:41
Author: wabash2800

A good way to buy such a thing is at a big train show. That was how I bought mine.

You have some options. Mine has plexiglass sliding doors (two on top and two on the bottom) instead of glass doors. You can also get some doors with recesses milled in the ends for handling, but mine do not. Mine also has a hardboard back, (white on the inside) recessed in the back. But larger ones would likely be wood in the back. But having said that, it does have good quality, varnished  wood and joints. Options can affect the price. I bought mine at the show and carried it out to the car.

Shipping can be high. (If you don't know if someone is selling them at a show, you can contact the promoters, as they have a list of dealers and what they sell. These are more likely to be at the big shows.)

Of course, with the pandemic right now, shows are few and far between.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you who I bought mine from, as it has been years ago. It must have been made locally.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/20 20:44 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/01/20 12:02
Author: AVR3001

Check out showcase-express.com  They have extruded aluminum interlocking shelving channels in 4' lengths with sliding clear acrylic sheet covers.  Screw into wall studs.  Can be combined end-to-end.  Ends removeable to slide clear "glass" out of way to access models.  Multiple scales.  Rail slots in shelf - like track in street.

Date: 08/01/20 12:21
Author: hartrick24

What is the size of you cabinet and a cost?

Steve H...

Date: 08/01/20 14:32
Author: AVR3001

I put two four-foot lengths together to make the 8-foot dispaly in the photo.  Its been a long time since I bought them, so I do not remember their cost.  Initially i ordered and mounted four shelves, then later purchased and added two more above and two more below.  Their web site is still active:  showcase-express.com  It gives you options and current prices.

Date: 08/01/20 19:30
Author: DevalDragon

Looks like a nice case albeit a tad expensive. It's a shame they don't have any shipping options availble to Illinois. At least that's what their website says!

Date: 08/02/20 07:28
Author: 4-4-0LiveSteam

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1200&acctid=7030

Lots of deals from time to time, depends on what you are looking for, I bought some legal file cabinets for pennies, they work great for storing my HO

Posted from Android

Date: 08/20/20 09:14
Author: JeffZCT

I have a large 36 x 50 custom made display case that I just recieved from an estate. Needs a good home and would be reasonable.
Probably hold about 40 or 50 engines

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds