Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Model Railroading > Current Keeper Question

Date: 08/02/20 06:58
Current Keeper Question
Author: BlackWidow

I have a pair of DCC equipped Walthers Proto 2000 PA1s.  Every few minutes, one will cut out for a couple of seconds and then suddenly regain power.  I usually run them as a consist, so one will drag the other for those few seconds.  It is all very annoying.  I have taken a hard look at this and tried several things.  I started by cleaning their track and wheels.  I have swapped decoders to see if it is a decoder problem.  I have run them each over paper to see if there are dead wheels not picking up current.  My conclusion is that the mechanism in the truck that picks up power from the wheel must be losing contact intermittently.

I am thinking the easy wasy to fix this would be using some kind of current keeper device.  These units have ESU LokSound 4 decoders.  I have done a lot of DCC decoder and sound work, but never worked with current keepers.  Are there any suggestions out there on what current keeper device could be used?

Date: 08/02/20 08:48
Re: Current Keeper Question
Author: BAB

Check the wiper that runs against the wheels, wiring to the trucks this is all from one end to the other also could be broken interaly.

Date: 08/02/20 11:50
Author: BrianK

All of my ESU equipped engines get an ESU Power Pack if it didn't already come with it installed. 

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/accessories/powerpacks/

I also use TCS Keep Alive for the Tsunami2 equipped Genesis engines.

Cheers,
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/20 11:50 by BrianK.

Date: 08/02/20 13:37
Author: WrongWayMurphy

The loksound mini is a good product that will solve your problem.

https://tonystrains.com/product/esu-54671-loksound-powerpack-mini-capacitor

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0375 seconds