Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Model Railroading > Iconic Replicas Santa Fe Train Bus in HO...

Date: 08/01/20 11:34
Iconic Replicas Santa Fe Train Bus in HO...
Author: Notch16

Been waiting for this model for some time. Iconic Replicas have done a very nice job with the GM PD-4104 coach. I do have a question about the roof and trim color on this paint scheme, though.

Having ridden many miles aboard these comfy coaches between Santa Fe's Richmond, CA station and their downtown San Francisco bus terminal, I recall something more like ivory or off-white, not the pastel buttery yellow such as seen here. (More along the lines of the CMW Trailways versions of their PD-4103.) Color discussions can be as contentious as political ones, but I'm hoping those who recall the Santa Fe train bus operation can shed some memory light. I've done the requisite internet rummaging, and have found pics which support my own memory and not the colors of this otherwise great model.

Is it right? Or is it wrong? It's sure a nicely done model regardless. Awesome Diecast was my retail vendor source, and is a great store and website to work with for diecast vehicles. And it's not that often you can buy a model of a train bus that says "Train Bus" right on it.

~ BZ

Date: 08/01/20 11:47
Re: Iconic Replicas Santa Fe Train Bus in HO...
Author: wabash2800

A good slide would settle the argument, but there may have been more than one version. I wonder if anything like this would show up in the background of a station in a train slide? If I wanted to change it, I'd mask off at the color seperation and air brush the correct color.

I think the guys on the Western Board would be able to give you a better answer, as many are not also model railroaders but have seen the real thing or know of some photos. Instead of posting this on the Western Board, I'd copy and paste this link over there and title it, "Question about Santa Fe Bus".

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/20 12:34 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/01/20 13:05

Good suggestion.

This adjusted image is more to my recollection. And I've asked the Powers of Western RR Archiving -- and we've found a pic I can't publish which supports exactly what you mention: a shot in front of a train station with a known range of color. Unfortunately the slide shifts a bit green and was taken with low indirect sun, so any fiddling loses what constants or controls might be in the other colors!

~ Z

Date: 08/01/20 13:18
Author: RRBMail

Yellow does tend to fade in the 100 degree "Valley Heat" (but that's OK it's a "dry heat, they say.)  ;-) I recall that the winged logos were on a separate pieces of metal screwed to the sides, not painted right on them. Now all we need are models of  Santa Fe Skyways' passenger planes. I think Chico owned a DC-6 and a C-47, until the ICC told him to stay out of the airline business.   

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/20 00:24 by RRBaron.

Date: 08/01/20 15:06
Author: RuleG

That is a beautiful model.

One organization which may help you with your question is the Pacific Bus Museum.

https://pacbus.org

One of the the Musuem's members may know the answer to your question or perhaps point you to a source.

A few years ago, during a trip to the Reno, I met a couple of the Museum representatives with one of their buses - very nice guys. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/20 15:21 by RuleG.

Date: 08/01/20 15:12
Author: MojaveBill

The Valley Heat is not as dry as it is here! I've lived in both.
We also do not have the Valley crud in the air, one of the most polluted places in the US.
Which is why we moved here in 1948.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/01/20 16:35

I've been in correspondence with the PBM folks -- yes, very nice and accommodating.

Will ask them about this. Consensus so far -- on a limited basis -- favors the ivory over the butter yellow.

~ BZ

Date: 08/01/20 19:25
Author: WAF

They used to pick up WP passengers at Middle Harbor Road off the CZ to San Francisco

Date: 08/02/20 07:20
Author: 4-4-0LiveSteam

Googled and Found this 

Date: 08/03/20 18:30

Have also Googled both these images, and they do tend to support the notion that cream or off-white is right, yellow like the model is... not-so-much. Thanks!

~ BZ

Date: 08/03/20 18:34
Author: wabash2800

I can see how you can fix the color on the roof by masking off and repainting but the other items would require new decals...

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/20 19:06 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0445 seconds