Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Model Railroading > Weathering ScaleTrains SP 8800 as I remember her

Date: 08/02/20 21:09
Weathering ScaleTrains SP 8800 as I remember her
Author: dmaffei

Did some rail-fanning on Donner in the 70's during high school and college. Spending the nights in a youth hostel called the Star Hotel in Truckee during that time was a true railfans dream. The EMD's were the main stay in those days and the SD45 was a main player. Ventured down to the Train Shop in Santa Clara for my pick up of SD45's yesterday and when I set 8800 on the test track today, it took me back to those days on Donner watching those monsters in run 8. 
So now comes the fun part, In talking with Bob today he has a couple of photos of her in the late 70's. So the challenge is to weather 8800 close to what we see here. The white dust from wheel sanders working long hours on mountain grades. The browning of the car body at the location of the "SOUTHERN" from hot exhaust manifolds. Some tunnel soot. How about a helper engineer in a white tee shirt in the cab? Any thoughts or ideas are welcome...
(Back in the 70's, all we had was a terrible Athearn "Wide Body" SD45. The hobby has come a long way. Thanks for sending me these pics Photobob)
8800 sits in Ogden Union station preserved as SP rebuild 7457 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Station_(Ogden,_Utah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/20 21:21 by dmaffei.

Date: 08/03/20 06:44
Re: Weathering ScaleTrains SP 8800 as I remember her
Author: sp8234

Nice Dave & waiting for the outcome.  Will go nicely with your Beet train but not so good with a Swift Roadrailer train. (lol)

Tim
Hanesworth
NVN #41

Date: 08/03/20 07:42
Re: Weathering ScaleTrains SP 8800 as I remember her
Author: WAF

Empty reefer train passing Number 6 and the PIOGN, empty steel train

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds