Home Open Account Help 139 users online

Model Railroading > optional 800 gallon tank

Date: 09/14/20 13:12
optional 800 gallon tank
Author: inyosub

I saw a while back that Atlas has offered several GP7 Engines with the optional smaller fuel tank.  I didn't
get one because none of the roads they offered were something I wanted to spend that much money on.  
The Katy was probably the closest. May bite the bullet and get one.
The First time I saw this was in a Clinchfield book, the 900 series engines and considered and started one for a friends layout. 
 So now I'm looking at the new Train mag Oct. 2020 on page 14 and low and behold it looks like it's a Santa Fe GP7
with the small tank.  Now that I could use. It shows 2 Geep7s in two different number series. The lead on 2668 looks to
have the small tank, the trailing unit 2719 appears to have a more standard tank. 
So I am wondering how common the small tank units were, how many the ATSF had and of course I'm wondering
if Atlas is considering doing the the Santa Fe and Clinchfield ones? Anyone have insight or thoughts?

Date: 09/14/20 16:03
Re: optional 800 gallon tank
Author: PHall

The 800 gallon tank was standard equipment on the GP7, it was sized so that an 800 gallon boiler water tank could be mounted too. Source is GP7 Engineer's Operating Manual.
The bigger tanks were extra cost options. 

Date: 09/14/20 16:45
Author: grahamline

I believe the undec HO GP7 from Atlas includes the smaller fuel tank, if you can find an undec somewhere.

Date: 09/14/20 17:09
Author: wabash2800

Agreed. I was going to mention that.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 800 gallon tank was standard equipment on the
> GP7, it was sized so that an 800 gallon boiler
> water tank could be mounted too. Source is GP7
> Engineer's Operating Manual.
> The bigger tanks were extra cost options. 

Date: 09/14/20 17:28
Author: tramfan

Atlas offers fuel tank castings as parts. You should be able to order one or two as needed.

Date: 09/14/20 18:31
Author: bnsfsd70

As it turns out, I acquired one of these small tanks in the mail today, via the parts department on Atlas' website.  I plan to replace the factory-applied tank on a Rio Grade GP7 to represent the smaller tank.

- Jeff

Date: 09/14/20 23:26

Thanks you all for the Info. I didn't consider that Atlas would offer the tank as I part.
I also thought it maybe only fit the newest frame so would non retrofit well to an older model.
I think I have a Santa Fe GP7 from an early run. (yes I can't remember if I have one or not ! LOL)
Doing the mod and change out might work best for me.

Now if only Athearn will offer the beet rack extensions as a separate part I'll be in project hog heaven

Date: 09/21/20 13:34

So Atlas is sold out of these. Just got a confirmation on it today and they don't expect to get more.
Does anyone know of a store or Ebay on On-line dealer that might have some in stock?  I tried 
Ebay last week with no luck and there are a couple of dealers on there that carry alot of Atlas Parts.
IF Not I may have to buy a loco  lol!

Date: 09/21/20 18:32
Author: tmurray

The chaissis on teh last two runs of this model are a vast departure from their older brethern.
If the unit you have has a detachable fueltank (a non-cast set of steps/sill), it can be replaced.

If you have that style of unit, let me know, as I can help you out.

Date: 09/22/20 09:33

You know what, what I was considering was putting it on an older Santa Fe Engine. But I know
it's an older run so won't work. May have to wait and see if Atlas does the Santa Fe version
themselves. 
I also think I may* have a CCT one which would be the new run. I just don't know where it is.
Lots of stuff in boxes. So I'll let it ride for now and see if Atlas does does something down
the line. thank you

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds